OT: new PC catch-22

Thanks, Jasen. I was under the impression Linux may not always save the data files currently in memory to the disk. Is there a flush command to force it to save everything and ensure these files are always copied to the backup?

Regards,

Mike Monett

Antiviral, Antibacterial Silver Solution:

SPICE Analysis of Crystal Oscillators:
Noise-Rejecting Wideband Sampler:

Mike Monett

On a sunny day (Mon, 25 Dec 2006 10:26:28 -0500) it happened Mike Monett wrote in :

sync

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Do a little research next time. The socket type will tell you what processors you can use. That also gives you an idea of what OS it will support. Go to the MB OEM web page and look at the available drivers and you will know what OS it will support.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes, several. The general command is "copy", but I like the "rsync" command, this can be used between different computers too.

e.g. rsync -a /source /destination

does a local copy and

rsync -a /source 192.168.0.2:/destination

copies to a remote machine.

There are lots of flags and options to say what is copied and how. In general only changed files get physically transferred so it is very efficient.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

That's great. Thanks, John. Merry Xmas!

Regards,

Mike Monett

Antiviral, Antibacterial Silver Solution:

SPICE Analysis of Crystal Oscillators:
Noise-Rejecting Wideband Sampler:

Mike Monett

I have something to say about Linux., The little i have played with it really impressed me when i transferred a large jpeg 1.2 Meg in size to the Floppy. It wrote so fast to the floppy that i was very skeptical as to it's fitness when completed. I popped out the floppy and then reloaded that same file in a MS-Windows machine. It took 10 times longer to read it and that isn't no exaggeration, with 0 defects on the read. That in it self, really gave me a thumbs up. It seems that i always had to pop in DOS mode to use the verify command to make sure the floppy's data was valid in a Windows machine. Many times, Windows would completely either miss a sector or simply write all FF's or 00's to a sector. In DOS mode, it never seem to do this. And this is in various Window machines i have found this to be true. when i say DOS mode i mean either in Real DOS or a windows DOS box. Thanks Microshaft!, you caused me lots of grief in the past!

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

I suspect that the drivers (software) for floppy disks in Windows probably hasn't been touched in a decade. :-( It also seems as though the hardware quality of floppy drives is pretty low these days, but given that the things sell for $10 I can't really complain that much.

I have seen Linux behave somewhat worse with respect to PC BIOSes than Windows does... there's the well-known problem where it corrupted the BIOS's real-time clock data, causing some Dell laptops to refuse to boot at well until you removed the CMOS backup battery, and I have a PC that fails to "see" its USB-connected internal card readers after rebooting after having used Linux.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

** That is not exactly what i meant; if the HD in the Emachine was replaced with a new one, you may not be able to get the computer to work due to proprietary items the BIOS wants to see.
Reply to
Robert Baer

News==----

Newsgroups

Tha is *not* what was stated; the problem mentioned was running an

*old* OS on a *new* motherboard.
Reply to
Robert Baer

I think "flush" is a program feature available in C, C+, etc and has to be put into a program at appropiate places before compiling. I do not think anyne has bothered to make a stand-alone program that would "snoop" for open files and then close them; i am not sure if that would be possible..

Reply to
Robert Baer

The motherboard, CPU and RAM were bought as a "bundle" (do i hear an echo here?). That is tanatamount to a guarantee by the seller that they work together. And indeed, the motherboard was made for the Intel D 2X2 CPU and the BIOS at that time "worked" with that CPU. The minor problems (echo again) were that the BIOS initial screen would not show any installed IDE drives, the boot process showed an "Intel CPU uCODE error" and it would not boot from a/any WinXP CD. A BIOS upgrade (to a newer, beta version) solved the uCODE problem

*only*.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Sorry, re-read "Note the obsessive use of abbreviations and avoidance of capital letters; this is a system invented by people to whom repetitive stress disorder is what black lung is to miners."

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Robert, I have installed many hard drives in used emachines where the previous owner removed the drive to destroy it. I booted from a floppy, formatted the drive and ran the restore disk with no problems. I make the boot disks with files from

for whatever OS I will be using.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Robert, my reply was to John's problems, not yours.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Why not just buy a pc with the os installed, all working?

John

Thanks for the clarification; i had heard that they wrote something special on their hard drives. I believed that because i had run into such foolishments on a PC a number of years ago.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Sorry; getting a bit confusing with multiple, similar lines of discussion.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Then it will not be *fast* AKA the fastest; also the cost tends to be double that of an assembled white box. But it was not my decision; i just got stuck trying to make the damn things work...and it all was too close to the bleeding edge, and my friend is doing the bleeding.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Linux does NOT use pee-see BIOS. Only the very first part of initial kernel loader does to build a memory map that is a nightmare in ix86 BTW. Then it switches to protected mode where there is no BIOS access at all.

*  KSI@home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
*  Las Vegas   NV, USA   < >  Miracles require 24-hour notice.   *
Sergey Kubushin

Radio Shack/Tandy computers and drives were like that. The computer bios would complain that the drive wasn't from Radio Shack, and if you put the drive in another computer it would tell you that it couldn't be used in a non-Radio Shack Computer. It was a real pain to salvage files for people. You had to find a computer and drive that worked together, then use the parallel or serial port to transfer data files to another computer with the old "Interlink" DOS program from MS. (Its called "Direct Cable Connect" in Windows. these days.)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida