OT. My household was randomly selected.

I thought all phones could dial 911 even when the contract ends. But I have an old dumb Net10 phone and it shows no sign of providing 911 capability. I keep it for the time and alarm function. A cell phone alarm only rings for a minute before automatically hitting its own snooze button to alarm again in 10 minutes. That just doesn't wake me up. So I have two set on my phone and three on the Net10 hulk which go off for 1 minute every two minutes. Even then they all quit after an hour which still won't wake me sometimes.

I would like for the Net10 hulk to serve as an emergency phone as the battery will stay up for a week when not using it to talk. Even my new dumb phone only lasts three days.

--

Rick C
Reply to

here I don't think there's any phones that can't call 112 even if it is locked or has no sim card

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That's what the FCC rules require. Any mobile carrier that your phone is capable of connecting to, should (by regulation) complete calls to

911 for that phone, even if the contract is expired (or even if there never was a contract for that phone).

Some phones can apparently indicate "No Service" but are still able to make a 911 call (assuming that there's actually radio connectivity in the area you try to use them with). The only way you could tell for sure, I suppose, would be to actually call 911 (which is _NOT_ something you should do unless there's a real emergency, as it's against the law).

If your phone is so old that the network provider has actually discontinued service on the band/modulation the phone uses, then you'd be out of luck. An old phone which uses (e.g.) the AMPS analog FDMA service would be useless, as the carriers have "turned down" this service.

Reply to
Dave Platt

here "no service" usually means no networks at all, if you don't have a simcard or only networks from different carriers than yours it'll say something like "112 calls only"

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Ahhh, so *you're* the one. :)

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Yes, exactly. I've had other phones that clearly indicated they could be used for emergencies when no longer under contract. I used to buy the phones because it was a cheaper way of buying minutes than buying the minutes directly! So I have a collection of phones scattered around. Most use custom connectors for charging so not of much value for anything ultimately.

I believe AMPS phones would have to be some 15 years old at this point. The only one I had was in 2000, the BAM101.

--

Rick C
Reply to

If they're taking my time, sure.

Reply to
krw

Put your knickers back on, Maude!

Reply to
krw

I knew it and still threw it away. None of their damned business.

Reply to
krw

As long as it can connect to a compatible network, they all can here. I believe it's the law.

Reply to
krw

I got one of those forms once. I threw it out and waited until they showed up, ad they did.

I refused to answer quite a few questions, like how long does it take me to get to work and how far etc. I told the guy straight out I would answer wh at I want and refuse what I want. I told him that the Constitution provides for information gathering as to how many live here, I guess their ages and genders, and that is about it. Anytihng else is strictly voluntary.

They never bothered me about it.

Reply to
jurb6006

Of course not. Very few people will see an animal in a cage and want to poke it with a stick. I'm sure they could tell that is how you picture yourself.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I can understand having a backup long battery life prehistoric phone in the car glove box given the propensity of smartphones to run out of battery life just when you need to make a critical call. Though keeping a suitable charging lead in the car is a still better option.

But I cannot see why anyone would own an iPhone 6s and then use some other inferior phone neither of which are functional as phones. You must visit some very rough neighbourhoods or something.

I resisted smartphones for as long as possible keeping an ageing Nokia dumb phone going until it fell into a bucket of water. Then I went for a Moto 3G since it had nearly a week of battery life on standby.

Why would you buy an iPhone 6s to use as an undersized tablet? Why not cut to the chase and get an iPad mini? Or Android 7".

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

The iPhone has a charging cable that connects to the USB port in the center console -- charging the phone as well as making its contents available to the infotainment system.

iPhone is physically large. It is inconvenient to carry. And, more "precious" if I leave it somewhere or break it in the course of whatever I happen to be doing while out-and-about. The LG phone fits comfortably into a shirt pocket. So, handy as a "wristwatch"/"iPod"/"camera"/"WiFi terminal"/etc.

[I used to carry a slide phone for the clock/camera/wifi/911 phone capability but it was much bulkier and smaller screen -- with a tiny stylus]

Turned *off*, the iPhone lasts for a *long* time. The same is true for the little LG android phone (recall, I'm not using it to send *or* receive calls so there is no reason for it to be "on" while "in storage").

Typical usage is as a clock/camera when I'm away from home (and need to keep track of the time and/or want to capture a photo of -- I find it very helpful as a magnifying glass: snap photo, then zoom in while viewing the captured image).

[I refuse to wear jewelry]

Worst battery usage is when I turn on the BT to listen to music stored on the phone (the LG) while taking my daily walk or working away from home. I prefer BT headphones instead of wired as the wires end up interfering with whatever I'm doing with my hands. Stepping into the car causes the car's sound system to "resume" playing the previously selected music selection through the car's audio system (if I have BT selected as the audio source).

Where did you see me saying that I *bought* either of these? :>

Reply to
Don Y

As some may know, I run a business off a boat (salt water) in a marina. About 6 months ago I saw a phone case float up near my boat. I retrieved it and it had a phone in it. I rinsed it with fresh water and put it in front of my air conditioner. After I figured it had dried out, I searched the address book for MOM, none there. So I randomly called a number, and said, "I found this phone, whose is it". They said it was Rick's, well Rick did not register with me. So I took it up to the marina store. They said, oh that's Rick's he's been looking for it for 3 days. Then it clicked, RICK, He lives on a boat in the marina. Turns out he bought a waterproof phone, that floats and doesn't allow water to ingress. The phone my wife dropped in the water, didn't survive. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

If only you lived in a country where the government was selected by and answerable to the public...

/You/ play your part in choosing your government. And if the government does not do a good job of serving its people, then perhaps it is partly because of lack of decent information, because self-righteous old farts would rather annoy people than help.

Reply to
David Brown

nderstand why it's done. However, following your posts you're clearly one of those who thinks the government is out to get them, so of course you'd f ight answering even innocent questions.

Now there's simplistic.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, I am aware of that. Perhaps it is simplistic enough that JT can realise that he is part of the problem he blames on other people (and especially "the government").

Reply to
David Brown

understand why it's done. However, following your posts you're clearly on e of those who thinks the government is out to get them, so of course you'd fight answering even innocent questions.

nt

He isn't.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

One of the neighbor's kids has "learned" that if her phone "accidentally" falls in the toilet then mommy and daddy will buy her a new one. I guess phones don't like getting wet?

[Apparently, this is a not-infrequent occurrence among women carrying phones in their pockets? I guess it "squirts" out of their pocket while lowering themselves down, onto the toilet or lifting themselves back up, afterwards). I've heard other RESPONSIBLE women complain of having been a victim of this. Makes me wonder why they don't take more care at these times (I've never had a WALLET squirt out of a pocket in a similar fashion!)]

Makes you wonder if mommy and daddy are THAT stupid to not see through this behavior! :<

Reply to
Don Y