OT: Memorial Day Math Challenge

I clearly didn't intend my list to be exclusive. You also need to know how and what to program... but there's a pervasive myth that programming is purely technical, and it's bunkum.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

+1.

Code that's properly organized and which uses descriptive names for functions and long-lived variables is a whole lot easier to read and maintain.

It also helps in writing it. One of my rules is that if I can't give a function or class a crisp self-documenting name, it needs to be redesigned or at least refactored.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

one

Good, that's essentially correct. No need for the assumtion of a normal di stribution. The variance of the sum is the sum of variances for any number of independent variates. The accuracy is improved because the estimation of each bar now involves the averging of two error measurements instead of us ing just one. I'm not exactly sure how the author claims it "doubles" accur acy though.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred