OT: Mathematical Curiosity (NOT Primes ;-)

That means the hyperbolic cosine of a large negative number is 2, but the hyperbolic cosine function can't accept a large negative.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Huh? COSH(-20) = 242.583E6

COSH(-200) = 361.299E84

;-) ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

But you specified "LARGE". Maybe it's only a limitation of the windows calculator, but I think not because hyperbolic functions are not cyclic, right?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

My concern was the _limit_ as x was large negative, puzzling over the value...

x + LOGe(COSH(x)) = -693.147m for LARGE negative x

As Bitrex pointed out, the limit is -LOGe(2) ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

cosh(x) = (e^(x) + e^(-x))/2

the hyperbolic cosine is analytic on both the real line and complex plane (because e^x is analytic everywhere and all linear combinations of analytic functions are analytic), so plug in any number you want real or complex...

Reply to
bitrex