[OT-ish] It's Spring, when a young man's thoughts turn to

Indeed. Companies in highly regulated markets (eg. pharmaceuticals) tend to have high profits. Very beneficial to the shareholders.

It also can have the effect of "commoditizing" a product, which leaves price as one of the few ways of differentiating your product. For example, given specs that match, one AC adapter that has a valid UL file number is much like another, and I don't have to spend thousands of dollars analyzing whether they did or did not (and will or will not in the future) use only approved tape (or resin) from an approved manufacturer half a world way.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

So, who exactly is it you want to install over yourself as master of _your_ money?

What makes you think some Washington bureaucrat can manage your own money better than you can?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Obama.

Because they also get to manage *your* money to *his* liking.

Reply to
krw

I'm a computer programmer, not an economist, and I don't have delusions of either omnipotence or omniscience. If I did, I'd be a libertarian.

So how come all the people who think that government is evil haven't moved to Somalia yet? It must be heaven on earth.

Reply to
Nobody

What's wrong with the "race to the bottom" as long as customer is willing to pay and no false claim is done?

--
Andrew
Reply to

"Spehro Pefhany"

Thus decreasing productive use of labor and capital thereby lowering overall standards of living for the sake of a few compliance agencies.

I am sure that Ethernet is a government enforced standard for the networking. I just could nod find the pertinent law. Could you help me locate one, please?

Perfect example. UL is privately owned, financed, and operated. No one is compelled by force of law to use its services.

--
Andrew
Reply to

I can recommend North Korea. You will have no problem managing money there.

Government has its own specific and limited useful role. External protection and voluntary contract enforcement. Somalia has neither.

--
Andrew
Reply to

when

businesses

only

third

overall=20

Could you possibly be looking for the various IEEE 802.3 (cabled),

802.11 (wireless) and related standards?

is=20

Reply to
JosephKK

Really? When Microdyne became ISO 900x certified, it had to pay UL for quarterly audits, and they were the only auditors in the US.

Michael A. Terrell

UL wasn't the only auditor in the US. We were one of the first to go through ISO9001 and it wasn't UL. I don't remember the name of the company (what a joke).

Reply to
krw

We used Lloyds, IIRC.

Reply to
Capt. Cave Man

This was in 1999 or 2000 and we were told there was no one else authorized to do it for us. That may have been a NASA requirement. Its been too long ago, and I've disposed of all the paperwork from that nightmare. OTOH, the contractor they hired may have just lied to them. He did enough of that.

Michael A. Terrell

It was around the same timeframe that we went through ISO9001. I'm told we were the first major company to be ISO9001 registered. Other than bragging rights it was a colossal waste of money. Soon after we got our registration they laid off most of the project managers they trained to do the in house training and audits, some who had been with the company for 25 years. It was all downhill from there.

Reply to
krw

My experience with ISO9001 certification was very similar. The company was bought out by fuckwits shortly afterwards.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter