OT: Internet Speeds

I'm on a small local company for wireless Internet access. Normally the sp eeds are adequate and I don't notice problems. But with everyone staying a t home the drag on the Internet is noticeable here. Pretty much every even ing it gets bad by 8 pm until around 11. I think more people are staying u p later since they aren't working.

I keep a window open that monitors the ping times and at good times like no w I see teens and 20s ms like I do now. When it gets bad the times range a ll the way up to 100 ms and one in 10 time out or worse. Videos get grainy and phone calls get glitches.

I assume those on cable don't have these problems. I have read that the In ternet providers are working hard to make sure everyone has what they need and have removed data caps. I'd be willing to bet most people don't realiz e they have data caps.

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricky C

I have a 100 Mbps fiber and a 10 Mbps wired connection. The copper line is out and I don't want to bother the phone people about it during lockdown. The fiber is OK.

My data cap for the fiber line is 200 GB per month which, when shared throughout the house, runs out in about half a month and speed drops to 1 Mbps. So far, the service provider lets me top up with a bonus 200GB for free through their phone app.

What bugs me is that, while file downloads run at high speed, there seems to be a cap on browsing speed. At 1 Mbps, web pages often time out before they're properly loaded.

Reply to
Pimpom

Pimpom wrote in news:RgDkG.5176$ snipped-for-privacy@fx01.ams:

Damn huge household? If you are chewing through 200GB a month. Binge watching something? Maybe give a primer to the rest of the household on how to turn bit chewing crap off when not in use.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I'm really tempted to go on a full-on RANT about "Internet Neutrality"...

But it's Easter Sunday so I'll avoid the foul language and the bad karma that might bring.

Reply to
mpm

Over here, church bells ring at the usual times and most families observe a short worship time - reading the Bible, praying, singing hymns, taking collections for later submission to the church.

So far we have one confirmed C19 case in the state - a

55-year-old Baptist pastor who returned from the Netherlands on March 16 and developed symptoms a few days later while in self-quarantine. He was whisked off to the local medical college and is reported to be slowly recovering. His family was tested and declared free of the disease.
Reply to
Pimpom

Actually the 200GB lasts a couple of weeks or so. Four grown children, one daughter-in-law and one granddaughter all living in the same house, which is not at all unusual in my society.

Youtube, Netflix, online gaming, social networking, file downloads, Steam, etc. gobble up data. Personally, I average a quarter to half a GB per day. I sometimes grumble a bit but not very seriously, especially during lockdown. Why make a big fuss over $14 a month?

If the service provider stops giving away an extra 200GB/month at full speed, I'll just upgrade to their 500GB plan for $22. I'm not rich by Western standards but hey, why not enjoy life's little luxuries - the ones you can afford?

Reply to
Pimpom

Megabyte vampires instead of kilowatt vampires?

New concept.

--
  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricky C

Ricky C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Snake bite vampires... Suck out de poison!

(Duke Nukem hovercop)... "SUCK IT DOWN!"

Dating myself. Hahahaha!