OT: Inline sprinkler valves, can they be tilted?

Ok, major booboo this morning. Inline sprinkler valve stuck on open. The guys who built the house around 1970 placed them under (!) the raised foundation. Take 1/2hr just to crawl there, scraped and bruised.

It's a 1" industrial brass valve but spare parts almost unobtanium so I'll chuck it. In order not to have to crawl two more times but only once I'd have to screw the new one onto the existing threaded nipple. Murphy says a tight fit (meaning no leak) won't occur exactly when it's straight up. If I glue in a new nipple I'll have to crawl a 3rd time just to open the shut-off valve. That's also under the house, what were they thinking?

So, all you hobby gardeners, how far out of the perfectly vertical position can an inline valve be?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

A little tilt will just make the water spray uneven.

Did you put Teflon tape on the nipple threads?

Reply to
Don Bowey

It's the valve. Hopefully won't spray :-)

I haven't done it yet, have just shut it off. But it's a pain because that means lots of hose watering on very steep terrain. So if I don't post here anymore I probably lost my footing ...

Threaded unions plus double-threaded nipples are an option but wedging them into that tight space is going to be a bear. The unions only come double-female and are rare species anyhow, hard to get.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

(1) Is this a low-voltage valve actually opened and closed by the water pressure itself?

(2) Why don't you plumb it properly... add pipe and move the valve where it can be serviced easily?

...Jim Thompson

|        Vote Barack... Help Make America an Obama-nation        |
|  Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked!  |

Yes. The usual diaphragm-solenoid deal.

Not easy in this case. Very tight crawl space, existing discharge side goes underground, designer house (no right angles...), tons of rocks, the works. I just want to be done with it soon :-)

Plus next week there's a project. Plumbers often turn down such crawl jobs. Last time we hired one he got stuck ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

My favorite fix for such situations, as in leaking stuff under a sidewalk... just cut loose both ends and re-route around the house.

One of my A/C's quit this morning :-( Fortunately it was just low on Freon-22. Since they are both 14 years old (and only 10 SEER), I'll probably replace both in the Fall when all the good deals happen off-season.

...Jim Thompson

|        Vote Barack... Help Make America an Obama-nation        |
|  Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked!  |

I have also been known to pipe up to the attic, go across the house and down the other side (76' instead of 180' ;-)

...Jim Thompson

|        Vote Barack... Help Make America an Obama-nation        |
|  Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked!  |

Does that SEER number really make such a big difference? I mean, a compressor is a compressor. What could be improved other than a little more insulation?

Really linear variable frequency control would be nice but I doubt we'll see that in this power range for residential grade stuff anytime soon. But we use our A/C so little, it won't matter anyhow.

Here it would be 30' right now versus 60' plus if I re-route. Plus backhoe, some dynamite, pick axe, tons of sweat. I did re-route one under the other side of the house where the valve is now properly outside on a manifold together with others. Same for the hose bib location to wash cars although chances are they'll prohibit that quite soon on account of a water shortage.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

The vent hole has to be up.

Around here they sell A/C with multiple compressors. A small one for typical load, then a big guy kicks in during peaks. Plus variable speed fan motors.

It's significant enough that the power companies give BIG rebates.

The serviceman who came said they now have 19 SEER units... almost twice as efficient as I now have.

When the Democrats start monkeying with energy prices I'll need that ;-)

What water shortage ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

|        Vote Barack... Help Make America an Obama-nation        |
|  Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked!  |

No vent holes in inline valve. They are internally bled (into the discharge side). But I am concerned about the plunger and its spring. Probably needs gravity to help it close. But I don't know for sure, which is why I posted.

Variable speed fans have been around for a long time. Even our 15+ year old unit has that. Only one big compressor though. But we pretty much only use it to cool the office down from 90F+ to 75F or so when a business visitor comes. Then the big compressor has to run for hours. I have no problem working anywhere between 63F and 95F. Neither does the equipment.

If an old A/C is, say, 80% efficent, would that make it 160%?

The old scout motto: Be prepared :-)

Won't help out here though because energy-wise we are between a rock and a hard spot. Monopolies and so on. So the name of the game is to become as autonomous as possible which is why we have wood heating. Next winter's heating bill is already paid, stacked and seasoning 8-D

Well, you can see trees sticking out of reservoirs that haven't been seen by anyone other than scuba divers in a long time. Boaters have to pull their boats out of marinas and so on.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, but you have to use an over-unity motor. :-)

I really wonder about some of those SEER numbers ...

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

SEER numbers aren't efficiency as you think it.

SEER is total output BTU's pumped versus total KWH's consumed.

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | | | | Vote Barack... Help Make America an Obama-nation | | | | Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked! |

Having a problem like that is contrary to all the physics and engineering that i know. They should work perfectly anywhere within

30 degrees of true vertical and at true vertical. If the valve does not, choose another brand.
Reply to
JosephKK

With a one-inch inline valve you don't have much choice these days, it's pretty much going to be the Orbit brand.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I had not known that Rainbird had become just a relable. Damn on silly exchange rate induced weird finance.

Reply to
JosephKK

The weirdest thing: Two old Rainbird 100E brass valves. Took the (leaking) stems apart, totally different design. But only one kind of spare part available. Why do they do this?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Poxy hell, Much of the management must be stuck in the 1960's where any kind of product differentiation was necessary.

Reply to
JosephKK

In my line of work (medical) issuing the same part number for a functionally different product would lead to some government vehicles showing up at the main entrance, a few guys in suits jumping out, padlocks and chains in hand. That's not just a hypothetical scenario, the FDA has done that in the past. Not to us but to competitors.