OT: Gravity explained

Visit the site, check out the picture

"Things fall not because they are acted upon by some gravitational force, but because a higher intelligence, 'God' if you will, is pushing them down," said Gabriel Burdett, who holds degrees in education, applied Scripture, and physics from Oral Roberts University.

Burdett added: "Gravity?which is taught to our children as a law?is founded on great gaps in understanding. The laws predict the mutual force between all bodies of mass, but they cannot explain that force. Isaac Newton himself said, 'I suspect that my theories may all depend upon a force for which philosophers have searched all of nature in vain.' Of course, he is alluding to a higher power."

It only gets better A degree in "physics" from Oral Roberts "University? Is that even possible?

Newsgroups
default

What, you got a problem with that? Gravity IS a theory! So is everything else science has discovered. Indeed, religion holds the only true facts there are.

This shouldn't be suprising.

Tim

Tim Williams

Gravity is Love.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer

What I find interesting is how many people didn't get the article as the spoof it was (re-posted from The Onion). This sort of argument falls completely within the realm of things that the I.D. folks come up with.

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are
Socrates.
                -- Woody Allen
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Galileo Was Wrong

Official Geocentricity Website

The Earth is not Moving:the granddaddy of all conspiracies

The Geocentric Bible. Note the chapter titles

(contains link to "Galileo Was Wrong")

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

More like religion holds all the folks who are arrogant enough to spit in God's eye and tell Him what he's shaped like.

And it isn't. Any time you set up a system where the loudest collection of a**holes wins money, influence and power you'll attract a loud collection of a**holes.

To the detriment of the folks who _really_ want to grow closer to the divine -- but they don't dispense money, influence or power, so who cares?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

If is so believable - absolutely perfect satire

"Liberty University" says they have a 6,000 year old dinosaur -

Newsgroups
default

This seems to be the original version:

The Christian haters are happy to pick up a parody like that and widely repeat as serious Belief, so they can then mock it.

Like the bumper sticker says, mean people suck.

John

... onlyif you are a very oral person withproperly placed l*ps.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Actually, I think it is a mockery of Intelligent Design, even when you know that it is a joke.

Is ID a serious Christian belief?

Reply to
Richard Henry

It's a serious theory among some people who aren't Christians.

John

I'm not sure what you mean. That's not really an answer, more of an aside.

If you're serious, please name three non-Christian advocates of the current Intelligent Design paradigm.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Late at night, by candle light, John Larkin penned this immortal opus:

What's wrong with making fun of goofy beliefs? The ID people truly believe they're on to something, however wrong. If they'd keep it to themselves it would be allright but trying to legislate it down everybody's throat is a big no-no in my book. That makes them a fair target for everything thrown at them.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

Evolution, as it applies to the origin of DNA, is arguably a goofy belief. I've seen calculation by serious scientists that resulted in probabilities than most statisticians would classify as "impossible."

Until there's proof one way or another, any dismissal of a possible origin for DNA is unreasoned prejudice.

Presenting possibilities is not the same as forcing beliefs down anyone's throat. Personally, I lean towards the idea that DNA is a very sophisticated algorithmic machine that was probably designed somewhere else and transported to Earth. Far more radical concepts have been proven true in the history of Science.

How can you call something wrong when you have no hard evidence that something else is the right explanation? I sure hope you don't design electronics that way.

John

Sure.

G W Bush Pat Robertson Jerry Falwell

All three propose Intelligent Design be taught and none is a Christian.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Not amongst Christians but certainly amongst the pseudo Christians who form the proto fascist US rightwing.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

As Bette Midler likes to say, "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke".

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

That's a fair point. Unfortunately there is no way to prove ID, it makes no predictions and there are no experiments you can do to verify it - it simply requires an act of faith. There are experiments that can, have and will be done to demonstrate how DNA actually evolved.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Bollocks. According to a recent calculation, if you make a 2 mile round trip to the corner store to buy a Powerball ticket you are 7 times as likely to die in a car accident during the trip as to win the Powerball. Yet people do win the Powerball.

Two strands of DNA form as a result of chemical activity. One has a stronger 'ability' to survive than the other. And away we go.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Ah, science.

John