[OT:] FTP clients

Mine is version 95.08.19 ;-)

...Jim Thompson

That's all my old version 95.08.19 does. What else DO you need?

...Jim Thompson

I often do that with client files... set up a secure download area. Lot's of E-mail servers have a cow with a 50MB attachment ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Just got done chatting with an earthlink droid. I don't recall haw many ISPs suggest using WS_FTP for uploading to personal webspace, but the best this moron could do is suggest uploading via this site:

which decompresses archives. I want to upload a zip, not the individual files contained therein.

I used to use WS_FTP Pro 7.6, now it's WS_FTP Pro 9.0 and it at least deleted files. I think it uploaded them too. Using passive xfer (like I selected for the link above and that's the way it always worked at earthlink) and manually selecting binary mode. The new WS_FTP Pro is a radical change in GUI from what I had, but it should still work.

If not, who's using what around here? Maybe it's time to change.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Hi,

I've had no problems whatsoever with FTP Surfer. Its free.

Luhan Monat (luhanis 'at' yahoo 'dot' com)
"The future is not what it used to be..."
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
Reply to
Luhan Monat

I'm using 7.5

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I haven't needed to try this yet, but it looks like it might work for cases where you need to send big files:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Free? So was WS_FTP when I got it ten years ago. Since it was written properly it continues to work, irrespective of the OS... now working just ducky on Win2K.

...Jim Thompson

My new one may just need to be reinstalled. I like the GUI better 'cept for the default output winder size, but the older version had a bunch of ftp sites to check out. I might reinstall that one for an ftp address book ;)

I don't think I had to do that. Maybe the latest version figgers it out. I tried CoreFTP and I liked Wise-FTP better. I'll use it. Thanks.

Hmmm... I must not have been in a hurry to upload that file, I didn't even think of using the friggin' console :) Never had that method fail, either.

A MS support guy for VC++ (when I had an older one and no right to support) fixed up some code for me so I could link NASM object files in my VC++ project. We swapped files thru one of MS's ftp servers.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

If I were worried about security I'd PGP it. I'm just leaving some file. Here. You can have them. Maybe you can figger out why output.fft f*cks up and input1.dat doesn't.

Ooooh ... cool ... Integrates with Pageant (Putty Agent)

I bet earthlink doesn't do SFTP. There's other ways to get at my stuff from far away. I wouldn't host a serious site on earthlink. I'd get a host with a shell acct.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

I'm using XP ;)

I bet yer son or someone here could figger out this micro tiny c++ thingy. I put the bare essentials in a console app.

Opening output.fft and loading it into a std::vector screws up, but input1.dat doesn't. It does load the vector, too. It just craps out when you return to the console, or in the [wx]winders app, the message loop. I think it has something to do with the vector going out of scope. The fft file is 512 floats and I converted the actual values to test.txt. They didn't look right plotted either, but I can deal with that later.

I did it in VC++ which might not have it's STL sh*t together. I bet it runs on a linux box. I might try that.

Anyone want some c++ classes that operate on s, y, and z params? It stores them as complex numbers with accessor functions, operator overloads, conversions, ... It's even got some plotting functions in platform independent wxWindows, FWIW. Oh, It does MAG, gain circles, conjugate match, and the like on the s-params.

The user might separate the complex class and the derived params classes into separate files. That's something I'm going to do.

Best Regards,
Mike
Reply to
Active8

Hello Active8,

I am using their Wise-FTP and I am quite happy with it. Very easy to organize the stuff in the local window on the left (Local System) and see what is on the server in the right window (Remote System). Then you can select what gets transferred and what needs to be deleted.

You can also have it display the whole communication enchilada during transfer. That kind of feedback is crucial at times.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

You can still store binary data. It's built in to the c++ language. Betcha sizeof(float) is 4.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Hello Jim,

Nothing, really. That's why I am happy with it. Active8's problem with zip files should also vanish with Wise-FTP. You simply make sure that the selection box for binary is checked in the configuration.

What surprises me is that many companies don't operate an FTP server anymore. Or maybe their employees just don't know it's there. When I had large CAD files that exceeded email limits for the recipient sometimes the only way to get them there was to set up a secure download area for them on my server.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

You know, I don't even believe that. You tell fread to write x sizeof(type_size) bytes and the OS deals with it. WTF are you talking about?

--
Best Regards,
Mike

rather sizeof() returns size_type or type_size, but that doesn't change my point.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Considering "what's out there" unencrypted transfer of data is kind of wreckless. As any simple network snooping will grab passwords just like that. Also download over ftp is vurnable to the man-in-the-middle attack. So files ought to be signed at least to be secure. Try to find an isp that support SCP transfer.

This program is nice to do encrypted transfers with:

(With roots from

and ssh.com)

Reply to
pbdelete

Take a look at FileZilla. Been using it successfully for a while. Windows, source & binary, GPL.

Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to
Rich Webb

FTPX

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Storeing numbers as binary data is something that unix os avoided quite early due that it easily cause problems with different formats. Ofcourse it's slightly slower.. ;)

Reply to
pbdelete