OT: Flash defeats cookie deletion

[...]

We're down to one, and yes, most of the good test equipment is on eBay. Other geek gear, however, and cool parts, can still be found. Last time I saw an HP41CV, a classy old calculator from the days when H-P meant something. Perfect, with manuals. It went for $35.

My recent scores include a couple of 4 1/2 digit Fluke DMMs, working, dirt cheap, linear stepper motors, gear with 50G resistors & related teflon standoffs, electrometer amps, etc., (the latter items for a dollar)...

I don't really need much 'stuff' these days, but, like Home Depot, the wealth of raw and not-so-raw material still inspires all sorts of ideas. Fun.

Cheers, James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I have much the same rule. There are cases though where flash could be useful and that's for animating demonstrations the operation of certain electro-mechanical parts. However, mpeg works just as well and is less intrusive. So need is not the correct term even then.

Robert

Reply to
R Adsett

Hello James,

Who knows. Maybe we are on the verge of a new trend: "The giant micro controller tent sale".

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

While you're getting FlashBlock, get AdBlock. On sites that you frequent, you can specify what's junk (wildcards accepted) and what's worth seeing (and downloading). Stuff that you know is crap (*doubleclick*) can be universally ignored.

This is even better than the (native) image blocking in that

1) it doesn't consume bandwidth to download them (THEN ignore them) 2) the space where the image would be isn't just left blank; that space is closed up on the page. e.g., Where there are junk frames down each side of a page (by default), I can make the good stuff take up the whole screen

--not the middle 60% (or less).

NukeAnything is nice for animated GIFs (on sites you rarely visit). Right-click; nuke this--it's gone. Works for anything that's an object and/or that you can mark (hence the name).

Reply to
JeffM

I use Adblock and AniDisable; the latter freezes annoying animated jifs.

John

Now that sounds like a deal - FireFox stumbles twice per page when I view eBay, trying, then timing out on some nonsense from doubleclick. Thanks.

James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat