OT: Daylight savings time, damm programmers

What is with these programmers these days. Before the y2k fiasco, the DST changeover was nicely recognized as the first and last sunday of the month (April/Oct).

I have a few new devices (Linksys routers etc) that I get the only option to set a Month day and date. Great, like these idiots didn't realize that in the Julian calendar the actual dates rarely fall on the same Day.

So now every year I get to set the clocks manually, fantastic.

Where do I apply?

Martin Riddle

In several projects, I measure global time in 64 bit nanoseconds since

2000. So there is apparent problem of Y 2584. Somehow I don't have much worry about it.

You do apply to Linksys tech support; why whining about their problem here?

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Move someplace that *doesn't* observe DST! ;-)

Reply to
D Yuniskis

On a sunny day (Sun, 14 Mar 2010 12:27:14 -0400) it happened "Martin Riddle" wrote in :

I have a script that telnets to my modified Linksys router and sets the time from NIST.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Who would want to live with dimbulb?

Michael A. Terrell

Wish I could do that, but its an RV042 and I have a couple of VPNs on it. It's just an bi-yearly annoyance. Not enough thought was put into it.

Martin Riddle

Wouldn?t mind living in AZ. ;D

Martin Riddle

Hasn't Congress dicked with DST start/end dates "more than once" in recent memory?

Run a time service and let that do the work for you (don't their products support NTP?)

Reply to
D Yuniskis

On a sunny day (Sun, 14 Mar 2010 14:54:10 -0400) it happened "Martin Riddle" wrote in :

How do you set the time then, web interface, telnet? ssh? Write a script. I *should* be online :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

California observes DST, Arizona does not :-) ...Jim Thompson

Try visiting in late July! :-/

(though many of the places I've lived have that problem! )

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Yeah, we have a worse problem (though AGW saved us last year). The humidity tracks the temperature. This time of year it's great. July and August, not so much.

Reply to
krw

Dimbulb lives on his own microscopic planet. He just tries to annoy us from California. :)

Michael A. Terrell

OS should not *change* the time. Rather, it should change the

*offset* used in displaying/referencing the "current time".
Reply to
D Yuniskis

most start with GMT.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

The approach I prefer (Linux-based) is to leave the hardware clock set to UTC at all times. It never has to change between standard and DST, since UTC doesn't do daylight savings time at all.

The OS then simply changes from one UTC offset to another at the appropriate time, and leaves the hardware clock alone... GUI or no GUI.

Dunno if this is possible with any particular Windows variant.

Dave Platt

Robert Baer wibbled on Monday 15 March 2010 17:41

The usual solution, where the OS permits, is tell it to store the time in the hardware RTC as UTC time. The OS makes its own DST correction when loading this. I *think* linux and windows can be made to cooperate on this, but I might be wrong about windows :<

--
Tim Watts

Tim Watts

Reply to
Grant

Yeah, but those are even worse because observe yearlight savings time! :^)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

It is worse; if you run more than one GUI OS on the same computer, they ALL change the time - making it wrong no matter what you do. That is to say, sometimes you will use only one OS for a while during which time the change takes place, and then later run the other OS. So, if one "usually" runs the first most of the time, one would think "allow only that one to make the change"? But a situation may come up whereby you need to run the other OS for a number of daze or so - and guess what? the time is wrong for a fair amount of daze and you need to do e-mails so you make the correction. Later, you switch back and BINGO the time is wrong (gets changed).

Only decent answer i found is allow NONE of the OSes to change date/time - and DIY (if you can remember when to do that as the oliticos like to change the when).

Reply to
Robert Baer