OT: Corona's Invisible Victims

Will not count towards death tally.

Cursitor Doom

"We must trust science" seems to lead to a lot of one dimensional thinking

Reply to
bulegoge

"..Mental health experts worry..", meaning that they are in the same group that they are talking about....

Reply to
Robert Baer

...the dimension of fantasy.

Reply to
Robert Baer

But, science means knowledge and understanding. We must be true to what we know. As for trust, science is about testing first, trust only comes when the tests stop showing you anything new.

What is one dimensional thinking?

Reply to
whit3rd

Sometimes lot of zero dimensional thinking.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

John Larkin does seem to have zero grasp of what science is, and what it is about.

The zero here is in his absent perception, rather than any obvious problem in problem in the areas he can't perceive (even if he thinks he does). It's like a blind man pontificating about colour values.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The posters in this group stopped showing me anything new a long time ago. Doesn't mean I'm going to trust them. Heck, I could have written their posts for them!

Except for that one. I don't know either. Maybe I'm living in flatland and don't know what 3D is?

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricky C

John Larkin does seem to have zero grasp of what science is, and what it is about.

The zero here is in his absent perception, rather than any obvious problem in the areas he can't perceive (even if he thinks he does). It's like a blind man pontificating about colour values.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

In God We Trust, but aircraft don't fly on the wings of angels.

Reply to
bitrex

That is comparable to faith, or political, or economic, or philosophical.

Science comes out better, since - over time - it will correct its missteps.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Perhaps, in time. But more time than it will take to destroy the global economy.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

In this case, yes. Also probably longer than it will take to decimate[1] the population.

Choose your evil.

The world is imperfect; deal with it or move elsewhere.

[1] in the original sense not the newspaper sense
Reply to
Tom Gardner

That doesn't make sense. There's no indication that lockdown is a misstep, and 'destroy the global economy' is a scare-phrase, not descriptive of real events.

Most important, do NOT adopt a devil-theory about science. Or judaism, or witchcraft. Those theories never age gracefully.

Be healthy, wealthy, and wise. Sometimes, you only get two out of three.

Reply to
whit3rd

Science that flies airplanes and explodes bombs and run computers and generate chemical products....there are no deniers in that realm of science.

Real science that can be measures and replicated.....ie real science... has no significant number of deniers.

Reply to
blocher

Cursitor Doom has some bizarre ideas. The global economy is going through a set-back. It's not being "destroyed". And science doesn't come into it.

Politicians are asking scientist for advice on managing our response to the Covid-19 epidemic, which does seem to be a natural event (even if Trump wa nts claim that it isn't). Which part of the advice the politicians chose to listen is unknown. Australia's new case per day numbers dropped dramatical ly after Australia's politicians decided to act. This hasn't happened in th e UK or the US, and their economies are going to take a bigger hit in conse quence.

US and UK science is just the same as Australian science, while the politic ians are different.

Cursitor Doom won't be able to follow this logic. He's not very bright.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It would take a higher level of incompetence than Trump or Boris Johnson have so far exhibited to get the Covid-19 death rate up to 10% of the population - they have to engineer mass starvation as well, or provoke a civil war.

Trump is silly enough for both. Boris would do it in a moment if he could see any profit in it for him, but he has enough sense to realise that he wouldn't last long as a Pol Pot look-alike - some even more rabid psychopath would replace him.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Assuming it would happen, that would be economy's fault, not science.

Science does indeed make errors, however it struggles to correct them one by one.

When was the last time we saw the economy arrange things so that there was a less unbalanced distribution of wealth? The more we go further, the more wealth is being concentrated in the hands of a very restricted elite, so that when the shit hit the fan, just like these days, the less lucky get screwed almost immediately while the small elite keeps going on. I can't see why science could be blamed for any of this.

If somethng has to be changed is how the economy works; too bad both laws and propaganda are made by the same people who rule the economy, so I'm not holding my breath.

Reply to
asdf

John Larkin does have a problem with observational sciences, and while we can measure the solar system with remarkable precision, we can't actually replicate it - though we can repeat the measurements of the ever-changing arrange, and make sense of them.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The original sense of "decimate" was a punishment inflicted on an army, primarily for cowardice. The (Roman) army was divided into groups of approximately 8 to 10 soldiers who shared a tent, campsite, and were led by a decanus. The order for decimation from the general meant that a random person was picked from each group, and the others in their group had to beat them to death.

A virus cannot "decimate" a population. The word does not mean "kill

10% of the population". Either you use the word in its original sense to mean the punishment of an army, or you use it in the colloquial modern usage of "kill lots of people".

Trump has been supporting armed rebellion against state authorities, and his policies have ensured that meat processing plants have collapsed from Covid-19.

The British are not nearly aggressive enough for civil war. The collapse of the United Kingdom into separate countries will not involve bloodshed. (Though there will be plenty of wailing and gnashing of teeth.)

Reply to
David Brown