OT: Cloud IT structure for a start-up?

The only time I had to deal with an IT department was at my last employer. When I saw the head of IT cruise up on a fairly loud Harley-Davidson I knew things would be alright. And they were, we had the best and most efficient IT I could wish for.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

There's nothing like a cloud server to demonstrate how lousy your internet connection really is.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Can't really say that, we are using Dropbox for more than six month now. My Internet is slow but that only shows with video communication under not so great protocols, such as Skype. With Go-To-Meeting there are usually no problems.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

yeah, but you're not doing all you work on their server. If you were you'd notice every 5 second glitch and a 2 minute drop out would be a major imposition.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

That is one reason why I never believed in centralized computing structures. The cloud is essentially a re-run of the old data centers from the 60's and 70's, before PCs became popular or affordable.

The server needs to be in the cloud or whatever the latest buzz word is. Computing on it would be a nice add-on, for example for SPICE simulations where a little netbook or other portable device is too wimpy. If the web glitches a couple of times during a half-hour sim run, who cares?