OT: Breeding nextgen Daleks!

Daleks were famous as the cheapest and least convincing aliens ever seen on a TV screen.

The image presented seems to be of some things that might do something practical, and are not nearly tawdry enough to qualify as Daleks.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I disagree. Daleks were properly scary monsters for youngsters at the time. I used to have the Punch dalek cartoon framed on my office wall.

One of my friends has a full size ex BBC one in his living room.

Cybermen were much scarier though because they *could* climb stairs. Even if they looked a lot like blokes in silver boilersuits with accordions and plumbing for ears. Modern ones are much tougher looking.

It was the menacing sing song modulated voices that made them so weird. Ring modulators were cutting edge stuff back then.

Modern Dr Who episodes are made to a much higher standard. And Daleks can now fly which neatly gets them out of the staircase bind.

If you want a really badly made Dr Who alien "The Ark in Space, 1974" is one such. Amazing what you can do with green paint and bubblewrap.

If you go even further back there were plenty of worse aliens in the likes of "Plan 9 from Outer Space". A film that was so bad that it became good again and had a cult following (along with others of that ilk). I can't recall the film now but another alien was obviously two blokes under a carpet!

Reply to
Martin Brown

How do you tell a boy Dalek from a girl Dalek?

More on Dr Who...

Clive Arthur