This video is pretty cool.

The landing is impressive.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

A waste of resources...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The controlled return landing of the launch rocket stage is excellent (although it might be a tadge annoying if you were underneath it).

Sub orbital flights are a lot easier than going into orbit.

TBH I would be very nervous of having big windows in the orbital vehicle unless I was in a pressure suit.

Even so it is quite an impressive feat of engineering.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Nice.

Landing just like in the old sci-fi movies.

Launch site here (east of TX-54):

Had to look. Spent some time at McGregor Range - east of US-54.

Looked almost the same - desert, mountains, lizards, creosote bush...

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

On a sunny day (Tue, 24 Nov 2015 09:01:21 -0800 (PST)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

mm I think it is blue origin?

New Horizons is the mission to Pluto.

Nevertheless nice landing, music too loud. Would not want to fly it with that music, or even without.... After a hundred OK starts and landings maybe...

Reminds me of delta-clipper that was cancelled.

watch how it ends.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Just imagine the papers flying about as Mom drops Johnny off for class...

Grins, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Well, they've sensibly separated the landing of the launcher and the capsule. I didn't see anything resembling an escape tower, or rockets for the same purpose, on the capsule. The capsule landing looked a bit hard.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Amazon might like it better than quad-copters.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 09:01:21 -0800 (PST), George Herold Gave us:

Too phallic.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 12:16:31 +1100, Sylvia Else Gave us:

The word is Bobbittized.

You bruise, you lose..

That folks....

That's what *she* said.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On a sunny day (Thu, 26 Nov 2015 15:26:02 -0500) it happened "Tom Del Rosso" wrote in :

Oh yea, I would order something and then lasso that spacecraft when it arrives... Come to think of it, need a drone? ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It looks a bit fake to me. The descent rate is high until it approaches ground then it almost stops to settle in. Yes, I know it is throttled. But the engine output does not seem to change that much.

Reply to
John S

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 09:29:16 -0600, John S Gave us:

The capsule segment in space is definitely CGI stuff.

The launch and landing looks real, and the capsule return looks like it is way too hard. Not as hard as a pitch over the Niagara Falls, but a G or two harder than would be comfortable unless one is surrounded with fluffy pillows or the encapsulating ray from the Forbidden Planet.

It is probably fake though. Did you see the two girls from the ground crew praying at the launch? And the landing of the booster had it slew over to the "pad of desire" instead of landing where it gained control.

The "pad of desire" had all those cameras getting flooded with dust.

Probably CGI contrived stuff.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The tanks are nearly empty at that point, which improves the thrust-to weight ratio amazingly.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 12:03:36 -0500, Phil Hobbs Gave us:

Did anyone notice the huge feather painted on the side of it?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I know. But the rate of descent seemed to change too radically near ground. It just appeared sort of faked. I could be wrong, of course. Some observations can be very deceiving.

Reply to
John S

Ya know, you're probably right. My brain is accustomed to watching ascent. Thinking again about the thrust throttling and depleting tanks, it does seem do-able.

Thanks, Phil

Reply to
John S

Oh no, it *was* faked. Didn't you see the strings and the puppet master behind the backdrop?

--

Rick
Reply to

I don't recognize those other plants. McGregor had mostly bushy looking growths. The coordinates point due east of El Paso.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I was at McGregor 1970-71 RCAT drones.