OT: Best Stud Locator?

I'm not sure. No seismic retrofits, but plenty of small stuff. A new toilet is a given. In Ben Lomond, the local fire department demands a sprinkler system on new construction and major remodels.

No. The local ground loading would not tolerate a foundation where the entire load is concentrated at 4 points. On my clay hillside, I'm limited to 1000 lbs/sq-ft and I'm very close.

The lowest price 3 bedroom house for sale in the area is about $400,000. Property taxes will be about 2% plus fees or about $8,000/year. Most residents cannot afford to buy their own house because of the property tax increase (another side effect of Prop 13).

I have a few spreadsheets showing the county fees and deposits for various types of construction. The costs are reather depressing. A new house runs about $30,000 for the county and the water district. A small remodel is about $500 to $2,000. The things we were discussing falls in between. Add about $7,000 if the house is in an ecologically or archeologically sensitive area.

Expensive bureaucracy is the price of living in paradise.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

On Sun, 6 Apr 2014 20:14:59 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@att.net Gave us:

You missed the point, I think.

"Remodeling" a home, in many states revolves around law and cost.

It is cheaper to remodel than to build anew, and leaving one wall standing is "not razed". Building anew has huge costs and even the razing requires post clearing/pre-construction inspection(s) in some states.

So, the "one wall standing" thing is just semantics for a claim that the house remains and is being remodeled.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Are you some kind of 'tard??? You think those supports stop at ground level??? And that they're not on sizable footers??? LOL

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Thanks to all who recommended magnets! Futzing over locating a stud in a exterior wall, foil-backed drywall, foamed insulation, my Zircon locator was giving flaky results. Rummaged thru my desk drawer and got out my stack of magnets... now I have a line marked from top to bottom ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Singles bars. ;-)

Reply to
cameo

This one has a nice output, you can check reviews about what materials it works well with.

Mikek

amdx

I don't know, when was her last checkup?

amdx