OT: Best electronic stud finder for the money

In article , To-Email- snipped-for-privacy@My-Web-Site.com says...>

My Zircon stud finder is almost useless. It has to be held

*absolutely* flat against the wall continuously or it aborts and has to be reset by going back to the hollow. I've had $5 stud finders that worked better.
Reply to
krw

In article , To-Email- snipped-for-privacy@My-Web-Site.com says...>

I wouldn't count on it either. Exterior walls tend to be better than interior but there will always be wierdness around windows and doors. I've found the best strategy is to use outlets and windows (double stud beside and triple below) as a starting point and measure from there. A small drill bit behind whatever is being mounted, or under the baseboard works as check too.

Reply to
krw

Mine works fine, over _real_ plaster.

...Jim Thompson

     Liberals are so cute.  Dumb as a box of rocks, but cute.

Dunno about "best". When I needed one in the late 80's I bought the ONE I found. I was lucky (for once). It has always done the job for me. It looks deceptively el cheapo. Stick-on label reads: STUD SENSOR Electronic Wall Stud Finder Zircon International, Inc. I've loaned it out a bunch of times to several people and it worked for them too. Two years ago a borrower moaned that he'd looked to buy the same model but couldn't find it, so....

--
Michael
Reply to

found. I was lucky (for

Stick-on label reads:

too. Two years ago a

so....

I've had mine for a very long time, too. Mine is the "Pro SL" model.

...Jim Thompson

For a tile situation, just drill thru the grout and look for wood.

I do have some bits that can drill tile that I've used to hang shower curtain rods. You just have to be very patient... pushing too hard can make you _very_ unhappy ;-)

...Jim Thompson

But

or

It works, sorta, iff you can keep it in firm, constant, contact with the wall. It's still not very accurate (shows studs about twice their width).

Reply to
krw

But

or

will

Thin cheap drywall ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

listening. But

slate or

will

Shouldn't make the studs appear wider. The stupid thing is

*supposed* to calibrate over the hollow. It doesn't.
Reply to
krw

Maybe it's defective. Take it back to the store.

I pencil-mark the three LED strength indication each side of the stud, then take the mid-point.

...Jim Thompson

I\'ve got a Zircon "Stud Sensor 4" and it works fine through tile.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

I've had it for some time.

Obviously different model. This one has an LCD display.

I think:

krw

But

or

The problem there is matching the grout. Replacing grout is a major PITA. Did a tub surround last year.

Wall tile is easy. Floor tile is hard as a rock and requires a diamond drill.

Reply to
krw

There's your mistake... it's most likely PIC-based ;-)

Like I said, I've had mine for quite a few years... maybe 15+

...Jim Thompson

Obama is about to make Herbert Hoover look like a financial genius

[snip]

I always save some grout (I buy it usually by the 25# bag) from each project, and I always use elastomer additive rather than plain water, so I never have matching issues.

I use teardrop-shaped diamond drills for wall tile also. Less chance of chipping.

...Jim Thompson

                Labor Unions Cause Global Warming

I throw it away. Once the bag is opened it doesn't last long.

They're overkill for wall tile, but they certainly work.

Reply to
krw

Yep. I forgot that you live back in the armpit of the nation... all that humidity which we let pass over us on its way East ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Armpit is a large move upward from the asshole (NE), though the instructions say it's good for something like six months after opening.

Reply to
krw

You're _not_ using grout in a can are you ?:-(

My grout comes dry in 25# bags, very much like concrete.

...Jim Thompson

I still have some of the grout from when this house was built in 1994. It's still in good condition. (Admittedly I _do_ wrap the remainder in plastic ;-)

...Jim Thompson

         All Hail King Obama, The Resurrected Messiah :-(