OT: Best electronic stud finder for the money

Which ones are junk, or too pricey for practical home use.

Usually, I find studs by tapping on a sheet rock wall and listening. But I've got to mount some hand bars in some showers. The walls are slate or ceramic tile over greenboard and I don't think the tap, tap method will work.

Leap and the net will appear.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Weird, I just use a magnet and search for the nails or screws holding the drywall to the studs.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

That works well with drywall alone. The nails are the depth of a couple of coats of paint. But I'm not sure if this will be sensitive enough through tile.

Some people are like Slinkies; they serve no specific purpose,
but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

use a stronger magnet, should be possible to sense screws through 10mm or so of stuff using a hard drive magnet..

else build a metal detector :)

Reply to
Jasen Betts

I have seen two different types; capacitive sensing and magnetic sensing (similar to a treasure finder). Of the capacitive types, one was "Studsensor 2(TM)" by Zircon and has a "density dial" which is helpful. Think i paid about $25 for it. Get any one you see at Home Depot and try it; if you do not like it, trade it for the other one.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I have a Zircon (brand) stud finder that has two density choices. But over tile, I doubt it'll work.

...Jim Thompson

      Obama\'s "resume" would fit in a Chinese fortune cookie

Oh yes, I found a 1G Micropolis drive from the late 80s. You know the type, full height 5-1/4 monster with the ST-506 (?) interface, or ESDI or whatever it was.

Similar to this monster

Well the magnets in the voice coil assembly are amazing. You really have to work hard to get them off a piece of metal. They are so strong they'll actually chip pieces off themselves if you let them attract each other freely. (Smelled like garlic? Weird)

No problem finding screws and nails. Even works on the floor...

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Is the tile applied over a substrate with metal mesh in it?

Reply to
ingvald44

Why not try it and see? Tap with something resilient, like your knuckle. I'd almost be willint to bet that you can hear a change, even with cement board.

What have you got to lose? ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

  1. Find an outlet or swtich box near to the shower on teh same wall as the bars will be.
  2. Remove the outlet/switch box's plate, and determine what side the stud is on.
  3. Studs are spaced at 16" intervals, so measure over from the middle of the box's stud an even multiple of 16".

Hey, bet there's a stud there!

Reply to
PeterD

No.

That works. Sometimes. If the wall was framed as one piece from the outlet. But that's not always the case. And its useless on a wall with no outlets nearby (usually anywhere near a shower or tub).

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has
temporarily been turned off.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

You can buy some really strong magnets here:

Example: their ZD3 has a pull force > 14 lbs and costs $5.00 for 10 about 1/2 dia & 3/16 thick.

They have a wide range of strong magnets, with pull force up to 285 lbs! (a 2"x2" cylindrical magnet)

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Doubts and worries are useless; go for reality!

Reply to
Robert Baer

...and if unsure, ask a hot young lady....

Reply to
Robert Baer

But

e or

ill

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 | =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

FWIW, Zircon has been doing these products for a long time. I'd call them and ask what to use.

Reply to
miso

ehsjr Inscribed thus:

You can pull more powerful magnets out of scrap hard drives... For free ! Be careful they don't bite you. :-)

--
Best Reagrds:
                        Baron.

I've found none of the electronic stud finders work for me at all. Turn it on, and it just continually beeps until I either turn it off, or walk away. Never figured out why!

Reply to
PeterD

Hold it against the wall during powerup, so it can self calibrate.

Steve

Reply to
osr

Around plumbing I wouldn't count on consistently spaced studs. It's common to put one on both sides of the shower-head feed, for instance.

...Jim Thompson

You're supposed to turn it on while in contact with the wall, over an area known NOT to have a stud underneath ;-)

...Jim Thompson

     The easiest way to rob a bank has always been to own one.
                 Now the government owns the banks.
          Time to install a fireproof floor safe at home.