OT: Arrogance of Blue America

I've never been a member of any "party" (or professional organization, etc.).

Be advised, though, that the parties have rules as to what you can and can't do as a member/nonmember. E.g., I can't vote in any of the national primaries as I'm not a member of any of those parties (makes sense).

OTOH, there are some (local?) elections in which I am asked by the polling staff as to which ballot I'd prefer to vote -- a choice that is NOT available to declared affiliates of one party or another.

Likewise, the solicitations, junk mail, etc. vary depending on whether you've declared a party or are a "potential swing voter".

(We have LOTS of elections, here -- at least one or two each year. So, your choice can have significant consequences)

Reply to
Don Y

Oh boy, I am a sports fan. (I blame my father.) I try not and think about it intellectually, watching 'my' sports team is an emotional joy ride.

(Mostly emotional disappointment in Buffalo these days. :^(

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I like to watch sports but greatly dislike listening to people talk about it (ESPN just sucks). I really don't care who the players are or their stats either. I just like to watch the game. Unfortunately, even watching is painful these days. The commentators are completely inane.

These days?

Reply to
krw

So well that they don't bother complaining that the media isn't presenting their point of view correctly - a complaint that the media does publicise when the right wing makes it.

If the media was as biased as the right wing tries to claim, none of us would know that the right wing thought that the media was biased.

In fact what Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson is complaining about is that the media doesn't treat his silly ideas with the reverence that Jim thinks they deserve.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Most people are. Creating a diverting conversation is a skill, and - like all skills - some people are better at it than others.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Do you know the MSM is biased because the MSM said so? No. And I know plenty of people who have no idea the MSM is biased.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

ing their point of view correctly - a complaint that the media does publici se when the right wing makes it.

would know that the right wing thought that the media was biased.

The MSM is biased, in the sense that it concentrates on the news that peopl e want to read. This isn't always the news that right-wingers want them to read, and right-wingers are silly enough to scream bias whenever they don't get exactly what they want.

No news organisation could possibly report all the news. When I briefly rea d the Daily Telegraph in the UK - I wanted their job ads at the time - I di d notice that they left out stuff that the Guardian did report, in a way th at suggested right-wing bias to me, but it was news that the average Daily Telegraph reader wouldn't have wanted to have to bother to read.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to