OT: Arrogance of Blue America

Right... (I don't want to read JT's article either.... too much hate there too.) I'm still waiting for C. Murray's "falling apart" to arrive. (I live where I do, not because of my neighbor's, but because of cheap land.)

And I think all you say is basically right. The moral failing in our country is happening out here. For about six years I coached in the summer soccer league here. That was a very eye opening experience for me. I got to see inside a number of different families through the eyes of their kids.

I don't know what to do. More civility is needed. It can start here (SED)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Hmm, if you don't know why you might have to hold your tongue a bit, then perhaps you better not come. The idea (for me) is to get to know the people. Listen. There is a lot of fear and hate out there. I think the fear is somewhat irrational, or maybe from a lack of experience... but it hardly matters.

How do you connect? (Perhaps you don't want to which is fine.) For me it's listen, and then share a story of my own.

And sure sometimes it can get a bit 'heated' with my friends. So we back off, shake hands, and talk about hockey, or fishing.

George h.

Right the article is whinny... I didn't (couldn't) read it all.

Reply to
George Herold

Right we have some (what I think of as) serious problems in our country. And we end up talking about less important stuff 'cause it get's everyone's dander up. (The most serious issue in heath care is end of life 'issues' and paying for it.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

There may be a few 500k homes where I live. Many more Tyvek wrapped older homes and trailers.

I'm always amazed at the amount of gambling that goes on when I stop at a gin mill for a beer.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Bitrex is a "citizen" of the Peoples Republic of Massa2shits, and a thoroughly brain-washed leftist.

I'll lay you odds he'll never take you up on that.

Sounds good ;-) If I had known of you 5 years ago when I had been making trips to Synaptics, Rochester, I could have joined you for dinner ;-)

...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

No. I grew up in Huntington, WV... just startled myself by looking at a map... 4 blocks from the C&O railroad tracks... never really noticed when I was a kid.

Now I live 1926 miles away (by road ;-)

Several.

One.

Often... our friends are myriad (and just about every faith known to man) and old and dying, like me :-(

No. And I wouldn't pry.

Yes... and we just celebrated our 57th anniversary on March31.

Daily.

14 at last count.

An interesting trick with segmented DAC's... and I'm constantly learning/experimenting... Spice modeling has now become my hobby.

Of course, I'm the boss >:-}

Of course, I'm the boss >:-}

If "of color" includes Hispanics... then hundreds. Blacks? Probably around a dozen... unfortunately I've outlived them all, but not for long >:-}

Of course I do... I did a detailed financial run-down before I decided to go ahead and take my SS benefits at 65... 12 years ago.

Did that in 2013. [1]

Same as [1]

Nope :-)

Did that 16 years ago.

I prefer wine.

BORING!

Never.

Be happy! It's easier on the ulcers >:-} ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Secular progressivism is a religion on the order of Islam.

Reply to
krw

Of course, you're lying but that's what leftist snowflakes do.

It does make sense that you didn't graduate high school until you were

25 (though it's somewhat surprising that you did at all) but most of us beat that by several years.

Oh a gay insult. Lock that hater up!

Reply to
krw

Of course you don't. Lefties don't give a damn about anyone but themselves. You make that perfectly clear. Constantly.

Reply to
krw

Because people like to micromanage OTHER peoples' lives. It's much easier to get your dander up over someone else's "affront" to you (as if they even THOUGHT about you??) than to address your own problems.

I'd put #1 (in HC) as "preventable costs" (preventable illnesses, preventable injuries, etc.) with #2 as EoL. But, some folks don't want doctors discussing these things with their patients.

We've watched a flurry of folks growing through that process in the last ~2-3 years. Being close enough to them, we were also privy to many of the decisions they had to face. Disturbing to see some of the treatments offered to them -- to prolong their life but at a typically lousy QoL. And, none of them "cheap".

I suspect if a significant portion of The Public, on their own, opted to avoid expensive EoL care/procedures, hospitals would close, overnight -- having lost their most lucrative "customers"!

And, it'd probably go a long way towards cutting Medicare costs.

Else, you'll have folks hyperventilating about "Death Panels".

A conservative friend was recently incensed over a news story that an 80-ish man would have been *denied* a life saving treatment (under Medicare) due to his age. As if he is *entitled* to unlimited care on the public dole. The same "wasteful" programs that she's complaining about "supporting".

Another conservative friend was livid when we commented that we didn't think Viagara should be covered under Medicare. Are you *entitled* to erections despite your age? At whose expense should this be provided -- what service should NOT be covered (cuz you're for smaller gov't, right?). Ah, appears her lover couldn't rise to the occasion without a little "help"!

A liberal friend similarly thinks (free healthcare) should be without bounds: "Great! When 100% of the GDP is directed into HC services and the next person wanders into a clinic looking to have a skin tag removed (free) or a birthmark cosmetically treated, what do we tell him?"

Reply to
Don Y

Really? What is it's holy book? Has anybody been beaten to death for treating that holy book with insufficient respect?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Ah, but if THEY are listening too, why would you have to bite your tongue? (assuming you show basic respect for others)

The problem is folks who are willing to lecture you on their opinions, beliefs, "harms", "injustices", etc. -- then, promptly slam their mind shut as soon as their jaw stops flapping. As if ONLY what they have to say is important -- TO THEM (yet, in their minds, it *should* be important to you, as well)!

No, I think times are changing. And, guess what? They will *continue* to change! Deal with it. Yearning for the "better times" of years past is just a way of saying "Mommy, protect me from the big, bad things out there!".

We seldom hear folks pining for a return to days of heart attacks at 50,

100% fatal cancer Dx's, riding horse-drawn carriages "to town", having to scribble on dead trees and wait a week to get a reply, etc. When you've made life choices (career, skillset, living arrangements, etc.) its disturbing to discover that the conditions have changed -- and you don't automatically get a Mulligan! Its really easy to blame the changing circumstances for your misfortune ("Gee, if I'd only bought Apple at $22" -- well, you *didn't*; stop whining!)

But there's the rub! Too many don't want to hear *your* story (gripe, opinion, etc.) It's a one-way flow of information; how can that be considered an "exchange" of ideas/experiences?

I'm very social (despite being a recluse and very private :> ). When I'm around people, you can count on me coming home with knowledge about *everyone* with whom I was in contact. SWMBO will often be startled that I know something about one of "her friends" that she doesn't ("Gee, I hope Monica's surgery goes well for her!" "Huh? What surgery?" "For her stomach cancer" "What? Who told you she has cancer?" "Monica"). And, the sad thing is, I may be the only one in the group (of those friends) who knows this -- because I was the only one who didn't ask "How are you doing", RHETORICALLY!

Yet, those same groups of people will seldom ask me anything about my life, career, history, family, etc.

We went to a (art) showing for one of SWMBO's classmates. One of the other classmates smiled,politely, and said hello to me when she encountered me, there. Then, some minutes later, when I sidled up to SWMBO as she was talking with this woman, SWMBO made a comment to the effect of "... and you know Don..."

At which point, the woman did a double-take: "He's with *you*?" "Why, yes, you've seen us together at " "Oh, I thought he worked *for* !" "No, why would you think that?" "Because he's always setting up/taking down the tables for us..." "That's because he's a nice guy..."

This, after *years* of encountering her in that setting.

No need to back off. Surely, neither of you feel that physical violence will ensue? Nothing wrong with letting tempers flare; if you don't CARE about your opinion, then it probably isn't a very strongly HELD opinion!

People who aren't allowed to "vent" end up with serious "issues".

When I'm "arguing" with someone and they get "overheated", I let them work through their anger: "Use your words..." I let them assess their own state of mind and come to grips with *why* they were so incensed. No need to feel like they've "lost face" by blowing up. etc.

Often, their frustration is justified. The only response I might be able to offer is a shrug of my shoulders: "Dunno".

"Feel better?" "Wanna go get something to eat?"

You need a balance between "PC" and "no holds barred". But, that requires *respect* of (and from!) the other party in the discussion.

Reply to
Don Y

+1

we are becoming more divided and that will not end well. I wonder if someone is intentionally trying to divide us?

makolber

"divide and conquer". who is attempting to conquer us at present?

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Of course. Both political parties.

lunatic fringe electronics

The Democrats are doing pretty good at silencing any thoughts that run contrary to their dogma. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

ou

?

?as backward sectors."

bitrex is OK, (remember I'm a liberal weenie too.)

Oh It's nothing special, just a good place to eat near my house. (And full of Trump voters.) As the long winded Don Y said upstream I think it's good to get to know a diversity of people.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Grin, I got the paperwork to change my political party from democrat, but I haven't decided whether to have none, or pick some other party. (Not republican!)

The independence party sounds closest to what I could stomach.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

[snip]

Diversity is good. Engineers are usually boring conversationalists ;-) ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Supporting political parties is like being a rabid fan of a sports team, Yankees vs Red Sox. The teams are all hired mercenaries, with the athletes for sale to the highest bidder. Just like the political parties. In both cases, it's all about the money.

Look at how many politicians went from being conservatives to liberals; they just followed the money.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com