OT: AGP rant

AGP variants almost boggle the mind and make it a nightmare to match a video card to a motherboard. With rare exception, makers of video boards only tell you the "X part (1X, 2X, 4X, 8X) and nothing else. Turns out there are 3 voltages possible for use of AGP boards: 3.3V,

1.5V and 0.8V. Then there are the protocols: 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, ?2.5?, 3.0 and 3.5 . So amoung these three variations, a multitude of possibilites exist in the wild.

Makers of motherboards are a bit more forward in stating what each motherboard will allow, but a number of them usually fail to disclose the protocol. To get the most complete "picture" of what a given motherboard will support, one must meticulously scan thru sometimes incomplete and sketchy motherboard "manuals", BIOS manuals, and reports (if any). And even then, most times the information will be incomplete.

As a result, research makes it virtually impossible to determine, on the basis of specifications, whether a given video board will actually work on a given motherboard. One my wind up getting 6 different video boards "that will work" (according to seller) only to find that none of them work - never mind you tried 2X, 4X, 8X and so-called "universal" boards of various types (2X/4X and 4X/8X).

Makes one wonder if done on purpose. Manufacturers, when asked if a given combo will work have ZERO comment.

Reply to
Robert Baer

"Robert Baer" skrev i en meddelelse news:EISdnbmxUaP-vInVnZ2dnUVZ_gadnZ2d@localnet...

Yup - the only sane solution IMO is to pay my local PeeCee pusher for assembly of the parts I want so he has to provide a warranty and it therefore is his problem if the system does not work. The cost of assembly has gone from DKK 200 in 2005 to DKK 500 in 2008 - probably to get paid for swapping between even more cards ;-)

It does happen that they mail and suggest another videocard - advice which I take!

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

AGP??? Do they still make those?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

What i am trying to find is a motherboard that will work with my All-In-Wonder Radeon video board; preferably socket 478 400FSB. All suggestions accepted.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yep; protocols 3.0 and 3.5 and usually 8X.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Heheheh... I have PCI versions. I have an entire family of ATI All-In-Wonder cards.

Nvidia captured my dollars after AGP entered the scene.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt