OT: A RETIREE'S LAST TRIP TO KROGER

They had a wierd name for the stores they built and never opened in Florida. I saw signs in the windoews they would open in a few days, then another stating they weren't going to open. I was hoping they would open and bring some better food than that crappy "Flavor of the South" which means it has way too much fat in everything.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Grin,

In Tennesse we left dry dog food (for our dogs) out on the porch. Our young daughter would crawl out there and we'd find her sampling it. I don't think she ate any, just sucked the salty bits off. (After I pulled it out of her mouth I had to try some to see what it tasted like.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I heard,

Here's a list of their banners... (Fry's?)

Cheers,
James Arthur
Reply to
dagmargoodboat

They don't seem to have a presence in FL, though, at least as Kroger. They seem to own a jewelry store chain (Littman Jewelry) that has a presence in FL, though.

Reply to
krw

I've never seen any of those in Florida. The logo for the stores they never opened had a palm tree in it.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

BAD DOG!!! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Right. And I don't think they ever have. Were 'going to' but pulled out before actuation.

Reply to
flipper

Well, I didn't say they never left a particular market. I just don't think they ever "sold off everything south of Tennessee."

They entered Texas (south of Tennessee, last I recall, At least 'most' of it ) in the 1950's, re-branded to the Kroger name in the

1960's, and I can't remember a time since then without Kroger but they've also entered and left various locations within the State (San Antonio being one of note) so if someone lived in one of those areas they might think they 'left the State' too (but it's a big place, you know).

If I remember correctly they did withdraw from portions of the 'old south' around the 1990s but, interestingly enough, Win-Dixie filed for bankruptcy in 2005.

Reply to
flipper

And mostly came out of it. They lost some brands they carried prior to the bankrupcy and some suppliers were on a cash only basis for a couple years. They still have empty spots on shelves fairly often. Super-Valu bought Save-A-Lot & Albertsons, and closed the albertsons stores around here. They are growing by buying the smaller chains, like Krogers did.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

    ...Jim Thompson
   |    mens     |
  |     et      |

If you like those, look for posts by Peter Hucker. He ends his posts with one liners and 'stories' like that. Over the last 5 years I've collected a 25 page Word file. Terrells was in there as WalMart. Here's another

An Amish boy and his father were in a mall. They were amazed by almost everything they saw, but especially by two shiny, silver walls that could move apart and then slide back together again. The boy asked, "What is this Father?" The father (never having seen an elevator) responded, "Son, I have never seen anything like this in my life, I don't know what it is."

While the boy and his father were watching with amazement, a fat old lady in a wheel chair moved up to the moving walls and pressed a button. The walls opened, and the lady rolled between them into a small room. The walls closed, and the boy and his father watched the small numbers above the walls light up sequentially. They continued to watch until it reached the last number, and then the numbers began to light in the reverse order. Finally the walls opened up again and a gorgeous 24-year-old blond stepped out.

The father, not taking his eyes off the young woman, said quietly to his son

"Go get your mother."

Reply to
stratus46

Krogers has an American Cheese plant in Woodlawn, Ohio right behind the Goodwill. It is like two football fields long. That is just a cheese plant. 'Kroger's' is a HUGE organization.

Reply to
SoothSayer

? snipped-for-privacy@earthl>> >> ?? ?? ? brent wrote:

Yeah, and were then bought by Bi-Lo Holdings.

Well, in 2003, when the chain had over 1,000 stores, the company's stock was the worst-performing of the S&P 500 and in April 2004 Winn-Dixie announced the closure of 156 stores

In 2005 Winn-Dixie filed for bankruptcy and announced the sale or closure of 326 stores (including all its stores in North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia).

That's almost half. Under Bi-Lo they're operating 485 stores in Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia, and Mississippi.

Around here H-E-B (headquartered in San Antonio) is the top dog.

As a side note, in the 1970s Kroger was the first grocer to test scanners and the first to formalize consumer research.

I still hate having to swipe my 'Kroger card'.

Reply to
flipper

chow

that

intensive

But then you would never be able to pass up a litter box.

Reply to
josephkk

? snipped-for-privacy@earthl> >> >> ?? ?? ? brent wrote:

it.

Since NCR was in Dayton, Ohio it made sense that Krogers would be used for the testing. A small retail chain called 'Rink's Bargain Barn' was used as a testbed for their electronic registers before the scanners came out. They were based in Dayton, as well.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yup. Albertson's _was_ the only store around here with a decent fresh seafood department :-( ...Jim Thompson

They knew 'it' was *you* (the town). :-)

Reply to
SoothSayer

A joke an old friend used to rib me with whenever I complained about some injustice.

I was not referring to the company making the product. I was referring to your neighbors, and it was just a joke.

There are 'like' concoctions sold, but the 20 mule brand is the most accepted and bought and few other makers exist, so you at east rest in knowing that they should have statistically less distribution.

Reply to
SoothSayer

Winn-Dixie still had it the last time I checked.

You're wlcome. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Win Dixie is where my favorite scene from "Fried Green Tomatoes" was filmed. ...Jim Thompson

My wife recently got an email from Kroger telling her that a product she'd bought (peanut butter) had been recalled, and gave the process for returning it. She'd already opened it, and pitched it because it smelled funny. It is a positive side of the cards.

Reply to
krw