OT: A paper dedicated to Bill's problem !

Al Gore?s Propaganda by Roy W. Spencer, Ph. D.

The methods used by global warming alarmists to convince you that more carbon dioxide is going to ruin the Earth are increasingly laced with insults and attacks directed toward anyone who might disagree with them. For instance, one of the many intellectually lazy (& false) claims is that I am paid by Big Oil.

Mr. Gore?s tactics have been a little more subtle, and reminiscent of propaganda methods which have proved to be effective throughout history at influencing public opinion. One should keep in mind that his main scientific adviser, NASA?s James Hansen, has the most extreme views of any climate researcher when it comes to predicting a global warming induced Armageddon. Listed below are ten propaganda techniques I have excerpted from Wikipedia. Beneath each are one or more examples of Mr. Gore?s rhetoric as he has attempted to goad the rest of us into reducing our CO2 emissions. Except where indicated, most quotes are from his testimony before the U.S. Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, March 21, 2007. (Mr. Gore is scheduled to testify again tomorrow, January 28, 2009, before the Senate?s Foreign Relations Committee?if the cold and snowy weather doesn?t cause them to reschedule.)

Appeal to fear:

Appeals to fear seek to build support by instilling anxieties and panic in the general population.

?I want to testify today about what I believe is a planetary emergency?a crisis that threatens the survival of our civilization and the habitability of the Earth.?

Appeal to authority:

Appeals to authority cite prominent figures to support a position, idea, argument, or course of action. Also, Testimonial: Testimonials are quotations, in or out of context, especially cited to support or reject a given policy, action, program, or personality. The reputation or the role (expert, respected public figure, etc.) of the individual giving the statement is exploited.

?Just six weeks ago, the scientific community, in its strongest statement to date, confirmed that the evidence of warming is unequivocal. Global warming is real and human activity is the main cause.? ?The scientists are virtually screaming from the rooftops now. The debate is over! There?s no longer any debate in the scientific community about this.? (from An Inconvenient Truth)

Bandwagon:

Bandwagon and ?inevitable-victory? appeals attempt to persuade the target audience to join in and take the course of action that ?everyone else is taking?. Also, Join the crowd: This technique reinforces people?s natural desire to be on the winning side. This technique is used to convince the audience that a program is an expression of an irresistible mass movement and that it is in their best interest to join. ?Today, I am here to deliver more than a half million messages to Congress asking for real action on global warming. More than 420 Mayors have now adopted Kyoto-style commitments in their cities and have urged strong federal action. The evangelical and faith communities have begun to take the lead, calling for measures to protect God?s creation. The State of California, under a Republican Governor and a Democratic legislature, passed strong, economy wide legislation mandating cuts in carbon dioxide. Twenty two states and the District of Columbia have passed renewable energy standards for the electricity sector.?

Flag-waving:

An attempt to justify an action on the grounds that doing so will make one more patriotic, or in some way benefit a group, country, or idea. Also, Inevitable victory: invites those not already on the bandwagon to join those already on the road to certain victory. Those already or at least partially on the bandwagon are reassured that staying aboard is their best course of action. ?After all, we have taken on problems of this scope before. When England and then America and our allies rose to meet the threat of global Fascism, together we won two wars simultaneously in Europe and the Pacific.?

Ad Hominem attacks:

A Latin phrase which has come to mean attacking your opponent, as opposed to attacking their arguments. Also Demonizing the ?enemy?: Making individuals from the opposing nation, from a different ethnic group, or those who support the opposing viewpoint appear to be subhuman.

?You know, 15 percent of people believe the moon landing was staged on some movie lot and a somewhat smaller number still believe the Earth is flat. They get together on Saturday night and party with the global-warming deniers.? (October 24, 2006, Seattle University)

Appeal to Prejudice:

Using loaded or emotive terms to attach value or moral goodness to believing the proposition. ?And to solve this crisis we can develop a shared sense of moral purpose.? (June 21, 2006, London, England)

Black-and-White fallacy:

Presenting only two choices, with the product or idea being propagated as the better choice. ?It is not a question of left vs. right; it is a question of right vs. wrong.? (July 1, 2007, New York Times op-ed)

Euphoria:

The use of an event that generates euphoria or happiness, or using an appealing event to boost morale: Live Earth concerts organized worldwide in 2007 by Al Gore.

Falsifying information:

The creation or deletion of information from public records, in the purpose of making a false record of an event or the actions of a person or organization. Pseudosciences are often used to falsify information. ?Nobody is interested in solutions if they don?t think there?s a problem. Given that starting point, I believe it is appropriate to have an over-representation of factual presentations on how dangerous (global warming) is, as a predicate for opening up the audience to listen to what the solutions are, and how hopeful it is that we are going to solve this crisis.? (May 9, 2006 Grist interview)

Stereotyping or Name Calling or Labeling:

This technique attempts to arouse prejudices in an audience by labeling the object of the propaganda campaign as something the target audience fears, hates, loathes, or finds undesirable.

Also, Obtain disapproval:

This technique is used to persuade a target audience to disapprove of an action or idea by suggesting that the idea is popular with groups hated, feared, or held in contempt by the target audience ?There are many who still do not believe that global warming is a problem at all. And it?s no wonder: because they are the targets of a massive and well-organized campaign of disinformation lavishly funded by polluters who are determined to prevent any action to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions that cause global warming out of a fear that their profits might be affected if they had to stop dumping so much pollution into the atmosphere.? (January 15, 2004, New York City) Source:

Sums you up neatly, Bill. When are you going to take the blinkers off ?

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

That's Roy W Spencer, the creationist

He's at the University of Alabama in Huntsville where he is the U.S. Science Team Leader for the Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer (AMSR-E) on NASA=92s Aqua satellite, which probably explains why the satellite data from there gives the anomalous temperatures which you love to quote (despite the fact that they don't agree with anybody else's).

I'm sure Roy Spencer is a real expert on propaganda - he produces enough of it himself to know how it is done.

Pointing out that Al Gore is using all the usual rhetorical tricks to sell anthropogenic global warming isn't actually evidence that there's anything wrong with scientific evidence for anthropogenic global warming, and Roy Spencer's opinion on the scientific case would be more persuasive if his lab had been a little quicker in finding the problems in the data they were collecting and purporting to analyse.

We've talked about about Roy Spencer's little weaknesses before. Fom the thread "Climatology: a wonderful science" on the 14th May 2009.

"

It's unlikely to be be as good as the reporter thinks. Dr. Roy Spencer also thinks that the current rising levels of CO2 in the atmosphere represent CO2 coming out of solution as the oceans warm up. He seems to have missed the fact that we are burning twices as much fossil carbon as is needed to account for the rise the rise on the CO2 level in the atmosphere, so that the oceans would seem to be dissolving more CO2 rather than getting rid of it. The article making this claim did at least acknowledge the existence of the Suess Effect, but claimed that the atmospheric nuclear tests had introduced enough extra carbon-14 to confuse the issue, which is a little odd, since fossil carbon contains no C-14 and the proportion of C-14 in the atmosphere is declining (and rather too fast to be blamed on the decay of the nuclear test C-14 which has a half-life of 57340+/-40 years).

His ideas about clouds as negative feedback seem likely to be equally off the the wall - Lindzen did produce a similar hypothesis around a decade ago, but it was falsified pretty quickly.

It rather looks as if Dr. Roy Spencer is part of the anthropogenic global warming denial machine, re-animating long-dead proposals in an effort to confuse the unsophisticated about the current scientific concensus, in the same way the creationists revive long dead controversies from the history of evolution to try to make Darwin's Theory look less well-established. "

Obviously, in May I was not aware that he was a creationist. Jon Kirwan followed up a longer post in the same thread that included that information and a distinctly negative report of Spencer's antics with the UAH satellite data

-- Bil Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

In article , Eeyore wrote in part:

And reports warming so far only a few percent more than the Hadley Centre reports.

Don Klipstein

In article , Eeyore wrote in part:

Or appeal to expectations that even one full degree C/K of climate change is sufficient to even halve/double how much it snows in Washington DC on average.

While Washington DC's winters, even those of the colder Philadelphia, have average variation from one year to the next being a majority of average anual snowfall.

And a majority of the snow in Philadelphia and Washington DC in the past

30 years would not have been changed to rain by every level of the atmosphere over Philly or Wash-DC being warmed by 1 degree C/K.

Don Klipstein

And that's an ad hominem response, i.e. void.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

Yet calls for the prosecution of oil industry chiefs. Hansen is certifiably INSANE.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

Eh ? Al Gore's appeal to fear is that oceans are going to rise by 20 feet or whatever by the end of the century whilst actual records show them currently falling.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

Graham has carefully snipped is the subsequent content, where I point out that this is the same Roy Spencer who was discussed here - back in May - when we dealt with a representative sample of his rubbish arguments.

It's scarcely ad hominem to point out to the group that the authority being cited has already been shown to have feet of particularly friable clay, and it would have been a total waste of time to trawl through another sample of Roy Spencer's irrational prejudices.

-- Bll Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

es

ly

Since Graham claims to believe the lying propaganda that the oil industry chiefs are paying for, he is ill-placed to follow Hansen's logic. Of course, Gr

Reply to
Bill Sloman

The content is irrelevant when an ad hominem argument is used.

How long before the AGWists all march in rank saying "Sieg Heil" in front of Al Bore ?

Your brain is a vacuum Bill. And that's being kind.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

And here's the pot calling a kettle black. You just told Bill that he was guilty of ad hominem in this very same thread. You might want to take the log out of your own eye.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

You would like to think this - it would prohibit us from pointing out that your favourite authorities are always the same sorry lot of apologists for the oil industry, obliging us to dig through their lame excuses for argument every time they trot out the same old exploded theories.

of

An ad hominem argument.

An improbable claim, falsified by the fact that I can still type.

Graham's brain isn't a vacuum - more an undiscriminating sponge that has soaked up a bunch of denialist propaganda. If Graham knew enough about physics to subject the drivel he pushes to rational analysis, he'd be able to clean out his brain and build up a coherent and rational world view. This would depend on him being able to do rational analysis, for which there's currently no shred of evidence.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

So, what you're trying to say is, he's full of shit? :)

Reply to
Jamie

nt of

-

Shit's useful - makes plants grow. Toxic waste is closer to the mark.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

There's a sign at the door of the Temple of The Church of Warmingism: "Please check brain at door."

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

**what the heck is important about 'methods'? Survival on the surface of Terra is a more important issue here...

Anyone who might, or some particular persons/groups who do? It's not necessarily wrong to attack, that's pretty normal in fact. Disproving theory is a MAJOR part of proper science, and attempts to reinstate a disproven theory are worthy of insult.

A person can be intellectually lazy, a claim can be false. I'm seeing some ad-hominem nature to this rant. Time to tune it out.

Reply to
whit3rd
389FB21E1F3500183D585B3B Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Bill Sloman wrote:

Typical stawman, you deny valid science that doesn't fit your religion and call it propaganda.

Try and find a fit between Loehle's temp reconstruction ( 18 proxies not just ONE ) and CO2 please.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I have to thank you Jon for opening my eyes to what was going on when you called me a fool a couple of years ago for 'not understanding' how CO2 could significantly affect global temps and asking for a straighforward explanation. It made me read up and it became clear it was an utter crock of shit. Prior to that I was tending to take take the 'precautionary line' and I still very much believe in energy efficiency which is not the same as windmills and hopelessly inefficient solar panels ( why the greens want these instead of energy efficiency is beyond me ). I'm all in favour of more sensible energy use but that's another matter.

Forget all the computer models and quibbles over them, the Vikings farmed Greenland in the MWP which was warmer than now and there was no disaster. The evidence can be found under today's ice that didn't exist back then. And that's a simple FACT.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore
2FF004E6E18D544EC8BCCA9E Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

whit3rd wrote:

AGW is a hypothesis, not a theory to be more accurate. A theory needs PROOF. AGW is not proven and the world is currently experiencing a cooling trend. See the data. Those who imagine climate should be in continuous stasis are out of touch with reality. Climate will always move around. Look at the huge change here between the MWP and the LIA. NO disasters.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

of

CO2 makes 95% of plants grow more too. It's GOOD for the planet with its ever increasing population. More food !