NPN operated in reverse question

I know the gain will be low, but that's okay. I only need signal inversion. I also need the e-b breakdown to protect the gate of a FET from a 25v source via a 100k resistor.

The base will be connected to a current sampling resistor in the source of the NMOS. The collector will be grounded. The emitter will be connected to the gate. Both will be be connected to the 25V supply via the 100k resistor.

I understand that some of the properties of the transistor will be degraded if e-b breakdown is permitted as here.

Question: Will the properties be degraded in this reverse connection? Can I count on it to last as long?

Thanks, Guys, and Cheers John

Reply to
John S

The degradation seems to stop getting worse after a bit, lots of people build noise sources with this configuration, and I think they find them reasonably stable.

Jasen Betts

I doubt, with a 100K pull-up, that there will be enough degradation to fret about.

Without actually analyzing your circuit my question would be what effects will the low inverse beta have on the current-limit accuracy? ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Zetek makes high inverse beta transistors; well above an otherwise typical 0.01; look for high e-b breakdown. OOPS! now-a-daze, nobody specs actual breakdown; everybody seems to lie and say 8V when it can range from 6V to 20V depending on the manufacturer and 2N.

How about a good PNP?

Reply to
Robert Baer

I don't think a PNP will do what I want. But, rather than run the NPN inverted, I could just us it normally. That would work fine, but then I don't get gate protection.

Reply to
John S

I measured a Fairchild BCX70 NPN as having inverse beta of 16 and b-e zener voltage 7.9.

lunatic fringe electronics

Thanks for the info, John. I measured the e-b zener voltage of a 2N4400 about the same as yours. I didn't measure the beta as I am willing to accept a beta down to about 1. More than that would be pleasant.

Reply to
John S

you don't get it for free, you can add a zener from collector to base.

Jasen Betts

Has anyone seen quantitative data as regards beta degradation vs integrated b-e zener current?

I guess it would be worse for small devices.

lunatic fringe electronics

I did, for pulsed zaps, capacitive discharge. Beta falls exponentially, rapid at first then levels off and settles at about 65%-80% of initial beta.

I used only small jelly drop devices like 2n3904, bc847, 2n3702 etc e.g. beta 540 becomes 390. I also tried some 1960s GE 2N2925s I had and the effect was similar but beta was lower, initial beta 80 fell to 62. After a few million zaps of 0.47uF charged to 30V via 330 ohm.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

How quickly do you need the FET to switch? There's a fair amount of gate charge involved.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

That's interesting. Losing half one's beta wouldn't be a disaster. But long-term DC zenering might be different.

A million zaps of .47uF x 30V is 15 coulombs, which is a fair chunk of charge.

lunatic fringe electronics

What kind of NMOS circuit has 25V in the source circuit??? Do you bother to tell what the drain is connected to? And the NPN collector to GND? And why do you need gain on that clamp??? It's impossible to understand anything from your description.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I understand it.

lunatic fringe electronics

No switching. It will be a current sink operating in the linear region.

Reply to
John S

Finaly some one makes sense..

we've dealt with a circuit like in a lab HI-POT unit that works fine in the lab, dies after about 6 monts of use in production using that type of current limiting and suppression.. Since it was a repeating case we decided to turn the replacement tranny around and employ the zener...

The gain on the tranny drops to the point where the current limiting no longer works and causes the mosfet to go into fall conduction which then cooks a couple of other components..

jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook