Not just floormats

He put a real GE jet engine in there:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

I've seen RF receivers that when swamped too badly would become totally deaf. You could scream into them and nothing would happen.

Yeah. Another valid reason could be a defective door lock or when you have to move the car after a minor T-bone accident. Some of the engineers coming up with this nonsensical stuff need to have their heads examined.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

The Blue Angels buzzed our building last week. One went over a couple hundred feet up... I could see the pilot in the cockpit through my

7x50 binocs, and the roar was very satisfying. He had the afterburners on, two big purple-blue glows blasting out the back, as he roared up Van Ness Avenue.

Snapped these from the roof:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Blue2.jpg

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Blue4.jpg

Does it pass smog?

John

Should have snapped one while the afterburners were going :-)

I doubt it. Probably he removed it before heading to the station. Like it was customary at my university before going to the mandatory road worthiness check over there. You borrowed a few tires, a carburetor, maybe an engine ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

most manual cars will barely do 60mph in 2nd, and It'll probably last a long time stuttering on the rev. limiter

at full trottle there' very little if any vacuum anyways, but the accumulated vacuum will last for braking once or twice,

I believe backless shoes like flipflops and such are illegal when driving in germany for just that reason

been a long time since I've driven an automatic, but don't many of them require you to put it in neutral before you can start the engine?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

9...

ey

shit

every car I have ever driven the steering lock did not lock as long as you didn't turn too much, but then when you go past maybe 1/8th it can't go back to straight ahead

and usually theres a key position 'acc' between engine off and steering lock

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

I was shocked when I moved to California. All those hills and freeways, and no vehicle safety inspections... just smog. In New Orleans, we had an annoying "brake tag" inspection every *six months*. My MG was so low it always failed the headlight aiming test. That's one of many reasons I left.

John

which in some way makes sense, wanna change suspension, brakes or something like that- prove it that it works and doesn't make the car dangerous, wanna change parts on the engine- prove that it will still stay with in the emission limits the car was approved with.

It is a pain for anyone who wants to change anything because the paperwork and money need to get that prof makes is almost impossible, but ..

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Seen toyotas with electric power steering as well

I've looked at the potmeters in the drive by wire on a VW and it has several tracks and taps and I believe the ECU does a sanity check on the ratios between the different track and taps to see that everything is working. the trottle body has a spring return and I think the power for the servo will be shut off with the ignition key

The BWM I've looked at was different, there was a mechanical trottle connection, and the servo could only back off from that.

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

towers and other

never heard of an old diesel that starts to burn its own lubeoil?

often happens after going long drive on freeway, hot engine, hot oil, lift trottle - lots of vacuum worn out seals and piston rings, engine starts to run full tilt on lube oil

key won't help, stand still and dumping the clutch in high gear might if the clutch will hold

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

All new restrictive regulation should include a risk assessment in terms of how many lives it saves and / or accidents it prevents before it becomes law. This never happens. Instead, we get blind, blanket regs that are just more expensive justification for the state to interfere with the lives of it's citizens. That and the resulting expanded bureaucracy.

Fortunately, you are still more or less free to make what changes you like here, with the parts you like, so long as you can convince the yearly mot (mechanical test) examiner that it's safe. They have had decades practice in picking up the bad stuff. There have been few, if any instances of home brew mods being a contributory factor in accidents, afaik.

What's it like in the states ?...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Nobody can tell. It vaporized the sensor when they stuck it up the tailpipe.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering - JIm

On a sunny day (Tue, 20 Oct 2009 15:09:48 -0700 (PDT)) it happened " snipped-for-privacy@fonz.dk" wrote in :

towers and other

Yep, I have heard of diesel run-away, never experienced it though.

Just buy a decent old Mercedes.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

This thread prompted me to test my own car, a Q45 quite capable of doing over 170MPH.

A simple push forward on the stick takes it from Drive to Neutral, no brake tap or button push required. Comforting ;-)

On the weekend, when I can get to an empty parking lot, I'll try various key operations... since it's basically an RFID fob, but sticks into a square hole on the dash, maybe I'll try just pulling it out and heaving it out the window ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Don't have a passenger you care about, sitting in the seat next to you. On some models, throwing the fob out of the window activates the "eject hijacker from vehicle" function...

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Platt

Ejector seat and no sunroof. Messy.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I love the Blue Angels. When they fly Jones Beach here on the island, they usually base their operations out of RFG. Their show starts from when the jump into the cockpit till when they get out. So the departures and arrivals are fabulous, unlike the Thunderbirds. We get alternating shows, Thunderbirds one year, Angels the next. Thanks to 9 11.

Martin Riddle

Only if it's Prissy ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Next year's model will push them through the floor board. Just as effective, but not as messy. ;-)

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

Exactly. ;-) I;fm still supposed to be able to get their fleet rate but it's often no deal. Hotels are another scam. The boss and other hardware type just took a trip to ATL (compliance testing). The hotel quoted $150/night, corporate rate. I went on Amex and got found it for $75.

When I lived in VT I got free upgrades to the Town Cars because I had a "snow" license. ;-) They didn't like you sand-in-the-ears types driving their rear wheel drive cars. ;-)

Reply to
krw