NiMH versus Li-ion?

I have this video camera battery, supposed to be 1.25 Ah, Li-ion, from 2005. It now does about 25 minutes at .5 A, so 1/4 capacity... They are expensive, and this one was not used a lot in 2008.

3.6 V at 1.25 Ah.. The latest AAA are close to 1Ah, and do not 'degenerate' a lot it seems, 3 of those is cheaper then a new LI-ion, and not much bigger.... Does that not make Li-ion much less attractive? I could even tape 3 AA NiMH at 2 Ah total to the camera... for a fraction of the price.

Is the _only_ advantage of Li-ion 'size'? Seems Li-ion is a bad deal for long time use.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 25 Apr 2009 10:48:51 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

Anyways, solved it, made a 5V battery pack with 4 2.3 Ah NiMh.... using the normal charger input to the camera, no modification needed. Just stick in the battery pack when internal battery is low :-) ftp://panteltje.com/pub/mustek_dv9300_camera_battery_pack_img_1093.jpg

That battery holder could be 20 years old, never throw away anything that could be useful, that included that cable with connector. And those AA cells too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje
Reply to
Brendan Gillatt

On a sunny day (Sat, 25 Apr 2009 14:03:59 +0100) it happened Brendan Gillatt wrote in :

But yes you are correct in making the point that li-ion cells don't age

Right, exactly what I have been thinking, those poor Apple Ipod buyers.. they will need to buy a new one every few years :-) Good thing I bought a Creative labs Muvo mp3 player that accepts a normal AAA.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje