Nice Small HV-ish Diode

800V, 200mA, 0.6pF @ 0V, 10ns, SOD-323F

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Tim Williams

MMBD5004S-7 is nice too, a dual 400 volt diode in SOT23.

lunatic fringe electronics

Still kinda big, longer than an 0805 part.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Sheeesh! What's the creep distance for 800V? ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

The recommended Panasonic pcb pad footprint works out to 13v/mil.

This one runs about 62 v/mil:

Recommendations for surface clearances seem to vary from about 7.5 to at least 40 v/mil. I use 8, but some parts don't let me do that.

You can buy a 3KV 1206 ceramic cap. That's about 60 v/mil.

lunatic fringe electronics

One can always locate a slot under the part. The family includes a 300V part, same size. I used to get Bourns diode in 0805 package, very useful, but they discontinued it. Dunno why small diodes have to be so big.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

8 sounds about right, the rule is usually 10kv/in in air. Larger if in some insulating median.

Martin Riddle

I've seen 0603s with kV ratings before. Potted, of course...

Can't seem to find it anymore, hmm...

Oh, no wonder! SEI's HVCB series was rated this way:

From the very same server, since Stackpole's acquisition of them, the rating seems to have been dropped:

Maybe they figured it was wiser to do so? :)

(Note that "HVCB" is still a valid part number.)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

Yep. I'm fond of slots. My first medical-rated switcher I used those giant 4-legged opto-couplers straddling a 1/4" slot. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Is that 'mil' as in milli-inches, or millimeters?

Traditionally, printing uses inch units... semiconductors were designated in inches for surface features, and microns for depth, for years until the dimensions got so small that engineers stopped retasking printing press accesories.

Reply to
whit3rd

I think mil is inches. Millimeters is mm. Nanometers is nm. Centimeters is cm. Micron is um.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

But it's only 800 volts.

lunatic fringe electronics

Well, to be perfectly correct, 1 mil == 0.0254 mm. It's all millimeters sooner or later. :)

I don't know of anyone in EE that uses "mils" as "millimeters". General slang, maybe, but it's encountered pretty early in one's career, so it should be clear.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

Then you have feet, yards, miles, lb, and so on. Canada has switched over to metric, but we still show meat in lb when it is in the showcase. When you go to checkout, the price is in kg. This can be quite confusing for those who were not brought up in metric.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

A mil is a thou of course.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

No, it's a tenth of a cent (or a tenth of a percent).

Reply to
krw

Also known as a per mille. ?

Tim