New high-temperature super-conductor

On a sunny day (Sat, 22 Jun 2019 01:49:17 -0400) it happened bitrex wrote in :

Not just for the sake of arguing, but also from a logic viewpoint, I think the idea of such a train is bad, Elon Musk has ideas about high speed trains in tunnels, maglev or not, a vacuum tunnel or better a tunnel kept vacuum over such a distance is a ridiculous idea, and you would need escape places along it in case of the extremely likely emergency as chances are that it will be hit by some nature based event as flooding, earthquakes, or man made events, are about 100%. Planes are simple, supersonic planes (Concorde) have been demonstrated to work, much cheaper, less maintenance, safer, Some A380 like plane could carry many people, and if you are not in a hurry take a boat, :-) Planes will only get better.

I did read an article on science.daily about a new high temperature super conductor and concluded that that is nowhere near usable.

Do we yet know how exactly super conductors work? electron paring I'v read?

There is a 100% better 'something' invented every so often, starting with the 100% better battery technology every few weeks. Much hype that looks for a reach-out for funding.

When in the shops, I will look again. I have a small YBCO super conductor disk, and can cool it to 70 Kelvin, fun. Storing energy in it? Never thought about it... But the setup to cool it is enormous compared to that disk size.

The setup to suck vacuum in a thousands of miles long tunnel is prohibitive.

Planes any time.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

That speed is about 8 km/s i.e. the orbital speed of a satellite.

Since the tube would follow the curvature of the Earth, the passengers would be weightless after achieving that speed but before slowing down,

Reply to
upsidedown
[about maglev train tunnel]

There's a new Iranian technology for that, involving limpet mines...

Reply to
whit3rd

Well the LASER was a solution looking for a problem, but it found them in unexpected places. Instead of being a death ray or destroying targets directly, they guide bombs, and also play music. But I thought the expectations for HTS were small-scale, not the power grid.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Not at all. I think the numbers worked.

It's a pretty old idea I think.

I rode on the Japanese Bullet Train, about 200 MPH. It's reliable and super quiet, very comfortable. Guys with carts come by and sell sushi and other snacks. It has regular wheels and rails and works pretty good.

lunatic fringe electronics

A380 was an economic disaster and is soon to be discontinued.

lunatic fringe electronics

On a sunny day (Sat, 22 Jun 2019 07:29:31 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Not a disaster, as long as the whatsisname Arab country was buying those. The previous poster was talking about 'enormous amount of people on a single train' A380 is then the way to go via air. A lot better than well B*oing whatever planes. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I take Amtrak's Acela between Boston and Providence RI regularly which tops out at about 150 somewhere along there. the tilting action in curves is much more aggressive than I was expecting, feels like getting seasick if I'd have to ride it much further than that at that speed. ka-chunk! to the left, ka-chunk! to the right, bang-bang.

$45 one way for a ~25 minute ride, $70 for "first class." It's almost always completely full up on weekdays and annoyingly they don't do reserved seating, not even in "first class."

Reply to
bitrex

I didn't think of that but yeah 18,000 mph is an implausible speed even for a very futuristic project like that. you have to make it comfortable for your frail-est passenger, little old ladies and ill people are supposed to ride this train, too!

You can't make your passengers pull 5 Gs for three minutes on acceleration out of the station. You can't really even make your passengers pull 1 G for 10 minutes in one direction and then 1 G in the other direction, on deceleration, either, you're building a transport system not the Vomit Comet at the amusement park

Reply to
bitrex

The Bullet Train is so gentle you don't even hear or feel it accelerating or braking. But the segment that I rode along the coast, Nagoya to Hamamatsu, was flat and mostly straight. Scenic but no adventure at all.

The guy with the snack cart enters at one end of of your car and bows deeply. After he passes down the car, he turns and bows deeply before he leaves, whether he's sold anything or not.

If a cell phone rings, the person covers it up and flees to the vestebule between cars before he answers it.

Very civilized, those Japanese. Nice PMTs too.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

China has some trains almost the equal of that now, it's easy to do in China the government just tells you "We're demolishing your house next week you need to move. here's $100" they get upset if you try to tell people that in CT or NJ. Well you'd probably have to give them real money at least

Reply to
bitrex

Yeah, I guess you are right. Larkin often posts things without actually saying anything about it. Something like this is usually intended as ridicule so I "assumed".

--

  Rick C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

On a sunny day (Sat, 22 Jun 2019 12:27:15 -0400) it happened bitrex wrote in :

Maybe, and US does that to Syria, and a lot of other countries since WW2 ehh, in, eeh and Vietnam, and (endless list) and does NOT give even a hundred $.

Iraq And kills people directly too.

With dones any other way.

Agent Orange

depleted uranium ammo

Debt, you only have debt, and a promise to do better in the next generation, gov bonds.

:-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The problem is not as much the acceleration as the change in acceleration, also known as "jerk". We constantly feel 1 G of acceleration from the eart

ah, the seats will need to face the right direction and turn around before slowing down. The acceleration just needs to be brought up slowly.

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Airbus lost a ton of money on the A380. Production will shut down soon.

Boeing just got a new order for 200 of the 737 MAX.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On a sunny day (Sat, 22 Jun 2019 10:06:02 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

This is reality right now:

Jan Panteltje

Airbus sells twice as much as boing:

Jan Panteltje

And then there's premier league football club owners, like this bloke, who owns an A380 as his personal jet!

Cursitor Doom

Jan Panteltje wrote in news:qelm0i$2c3$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I'd gladly hang you Tuesday, for a hamburger today.

You have a seriously abnormal anti-american sentiment, and half of what you spout is utter horseshit.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On a sunny day (Sat, 22 Jun 2019 18:23:48 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Cursitor Doom wrote in :

That wikipedia article only taks about a boing 767?

Very impressive guy really, all the things he does and did.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje