Neon indicator blowing!

I have an NE-51 neon indicator in parallel with a 115 VAC relay coil to indicate the state of the coil. Problem is it doesn't last long. Is it being blown by the kick back of the coil field collapsing when it is turned off. What should I do? bypass the lamp with a cap? How can I fix it?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Is there a series resistor?

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | The harder I work the luckier I get.

No, you\'re wearing it out by putting too much current through it.
Reply to
John Fields

No and Thanks in that order! There is no resistor since I used a standard socket and not the one designed for neon bulbs so stupid me! I'll put the

220K in series..

Great group! Jeff

being

off.

Reply to
Jeff

Yikes! I did that with an NE-2 about 50 years ago. Didn't last maybe 100 ms, then exploded. Was nice and bright while it worked, though..........................

Reply to
BFoelsch

Neon indicators need current limiting, and 115V (AC or DC) will destroy any neon indicator that does not have current limiting. Use a 100K resistor in series.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Hello Robert,

Depends which ones. I had a few that screwed into a regular small type lamp socket. Took one apart, couldn't find a resistor in there. This one was rated for EU voltages (230V).

But for the regular small pellet kinds you are right, they need a resistor.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg