Need Small Actuator or Solenoid? Where do I get it?

Hello:

I have a project where I need a very small actuator or solenoid. I need to pull a lever about 1/4 to 3/8". As an aside, I don't understand the difference between an actuator and a solenoid.

Where can I find such a thing?

Thanks for the help!

Dan

Reply to
Dan Dotson

Lessee:

Have you tried searching the net? Maybe Newark Electronics, Mouser, Digi-key, McMaster-Carr, Grainger, Harbor Freight?

I have a little radio controlled toy car (about the size of your thumb) that has _something_ in it that makes it turn right or left - I could send you one for the price of shipping, plus a few bucks as a bribe. ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I can sell you some

Ignoramus29233

Tell me more...

Reply to
Dan Dotson

So I read the definitions, but it's not clear. Actually the solenoid is very clear. Actuator isn't. It sounds like a generic term for a device that performs action.

I've looked >>

Reply to
Dan Dotson

Solenoids are electrically operated. Actuators are usually pneumatically operated, but could be spring, hydraulic, electric, or whatever.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Dan Dots>Tell me more...

Why don't YOU tell us more? A project STARTS with a **specification**. When you have put *numbers* to what you need, then a solution can be found. e.g. The required FORCE would be significant for this.

Reply to
JeffM

What gives? I'm not a regular to newsgroups, and certainly not this one. Your response comes off as irritated and aggressive, as if I sat on your barstool. I don't feel welcome here.

Reply to
Dan Dotson

You don't say how small very small is or how much force you need.

A solenoid is an actuator, not all actuators are solenoids.

In automobiles for trunk latches and such they use a motor driven actuator that works a worm screw and provides a lot of force in a small size compared to a solenoid.

We used a similar scheme in RC in the 60's - small toy motor spins a long screw or threaded rod and a follower nut moves a slotted lever to move a rudder on boats. Cheap easy, proportional, simple and powerful.

In small radio control toys they use a magnet pulled left or right by coils like a solenoid.

"Voice coil" (ala speaker) drives are used to move arms in hard drives and focus lasers and digital camera lenses. Precise positioning not just in or out.

Look into Radio Control hobby sites for servo actuators (motor driven, geared, precise positioning)

Springs, bimetallic devices or "muscle wires" that move due to heat or current flow.

Simple solenoids have unequal force depending on how far the plunger is out - they can incorporate machined plungers and pole pieces to correct that shortcoming.

Newsgroups
default

Reply to
Andy

Bingo! It's a very broad definition. Something that moves something when it's energized.

And please don't top-post.

And for heaven's sakes, you could _make_ an actuator with a spool of magnet wire and a nail! ;-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I get it!

Reply to
Dan Dotson

An actuator is a generic term for just about any transducer that takes energy in some form and turns it into mechanical energy at its output.

A solenoid is a type of electrical actuator.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

Try MPJA.com (or Google Marlin P Jones, if I got it wrong).

I have several hundred collecting dust. Pay postage (USA), and I'll send you several for free. email me offline if interested. -mpm

Don't know the exact pull in-strength, but they were fairly substantial. About 1" square (coil size), and maybe 4" long total, including the plastic actuator arm.

Reply to
mpm

In case Senor Millard doesn't have one that fits check the solenoids in the sprinkler system aisle of the next HW store. Little black thingies,

1" diameter or so, the rod can probably move far enough on some and is often held in place by a spring. 24V AC, usually. Example:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg