Nanofarads?

Actually, it dawned on me what it is... everyone is presumed armed and dangerous ;-)

...Jim Thompson

How about length? They come in standard lengths in US, something less than

8', for use as wall studs so that a 4x8 sheet of plywood or drywall[1] will just fit.

And how _do_ they spec plywood and drywall?

Thanks, Rich

[1] Sheetrock, Gypsum, Plasterboard
Reply to
Rich Grise

Yabbut, that's Australia. You guys use normal measurements, like feet and inches, right? We're wondering about England and the rest of Europe.

Any Asians around? ;-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

FWIW, my office opens onto a machine shop. In machining, it's common to say, for example, "four inches two-fifty" for 4.250". [and we see another 'standard': '"', the double-quote, and '"', the 'inches' sign. ;-) ]

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Nah, it's the density... you have to drive a LOT farther before you meet an asshole that runs you off the road. ;-)

...I wonder what the stats actually are for single vs. multiple collisions in comparison to other states, anyway. I mean, I wonder, but not enough to look them up on like DOT or something myself. ;-P

...For that matter, you have a lot of flat desert, right? Someone falls asleep at the wheel and runs off the road and can probably recover... here at least you'll run into a cornfield, or something, and that after the drainage ditch (sometimes). Or trees...

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

...You mean cell phones?

(I hear most are dropping the electronics supplies.. our local RS I think still stocks, not like they have anything I need besides resistors!)

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

No, not really.

Literally half the world thinks centimeters are an unit of measurement, not in fact a factored unit. I hear mention of hundreds of mm or cm in occasional chat (chat with non-Americans that is). What a waste, eh?

Unit multipliers don't mean a damn thing to me in any case, I associate the multiplier with the number, for one, so the number "four hundred seventy thousand" (no particular units) mentally becomes 0.47M (almost a half million) or 470k. For two, I find it very easy (perhaps practice and mindset) to shift three zeroes (or decimals) effortlessly. The mindset being, 1 = 0.001k = 1,000m, it's the same f****ng number, so why bother even thinking about bringing unit multiplier BS into it? (Like, shit do I need to multiply or divide that by a thousand micros per milli!?!?!). I don't even care.

Heh, and don't forget that, by SI standards, 1g = 1m kg. I guess they wanted the full, proud *kilogram* of platinum-iridium, instead of that little unit gram cylinder...*rolleyes*

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

We have MANY multiples on our freeways.

Or canals.

...Jim Thompson

Of course, "hundred" and "thousand" are perfectly good multipliers.

In astronomy, it is common to give focal lengths in mm and apertures in cm, which helps to keep from mistaking one for the other when you talk about a

20-cm telescope, for instance. (Giving focal length in mm links directly to telephoto lenses, which are often used alongside telescopes and whose focal length is in mm.) The professionals, however, use meters for both; so I have a 0.2-m telescope with focal length 2.0 m.
Reply to
mc

SNIP

Australia has been fully metricated (officially at least) since

1988,and started the practical process in 1970. Attempts to institute metrication going back to Federation in 1901 are recorded in the timeline at the bottom of this page.

With regard to building materials Australia uses multiples of 300mm (close to the old 12") for length. Width and breadth for board come in standard sizes such as 600 x 900, 600 x 1200, 900 x 1800 and 1200 x

2400, again based on a multiple of 300mm. Board may be with or without veneer with the plain board standard thickness being 3mm, 6mm, 12mm, 18mm and 25mm - the veneer thickness would be added to these sizes. Plasterboard is 1200 x 900 or 1200 x 2400 in two thicknesses, eg. 12mm and 18mm IIRC.

Standard L x T timber sizes would be multiples of 19mm, and 25mm which are close to the old 3/4" and 1" standards. For example a piece of timber might be finished to 2.4M in length x 50mm wide x 38mm thick which is close to the 8' x 2" x 1.5". A 6M x 75mm x 50mm which would be close to the old 20' x 3" x 2".

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Only for PCBs and bits of wood mate! Otherwise it's metric all the way.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Only for PCBs and bits of wood mate! Otherwise it's metric all the way.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

I went to the local RS the other day, looking for a 20A, 250V fuse. I walked in, and asked the droid, "Fuses?" He said, "Cabinet." It seems all of those parts that used to be on those hinged pegboards have been condensed down to a cabinet.[1] Interestingly, the one thing I noticed was a proliferation of switches. Pushbutton switches, toggle switches, slide switches, slide switch assortments - just about any switch/button you could want. And relays! I was kind of surprised at the selection of relays in "the cabinet".

I was also kind of surprised that they had a 20AS, 250V, 3AG fuse. A 4- pack, actually. :-) Unfortunately, it's fast-blow, so I'm a little reluctant to run my air conditioner through it.

Thanks! Rich [1] - well, _some_ of the parts. You can still get an LM324, or a 555, for example, or 10-packs of 2N3904's and 2N3906's, but that's about it.

Reply to
Rich Grise