My Ebay score

Got this one on Ebay this week.

No big deal. BUT, the seller/owner is Bernard Goetz. He was one of my heroes back in the mid 80s. He now owns a company (mostly used T&M equipment, I think) called Vigilante Electronics in NYC. Cool!

Reply to
JW

The name seemed familiar... but I had to look up Goetz to remember.

That's my kind of justice, swift and direct... for the Trump Tower climber yesterday, I would have simply sprayed window washing solution on the windows above the perp... no windows to replace... just swooooosh... plop... one example like that and there would be no more such climbs >:-}

BTW: I recognized the suction cups... I have a set of 4 that I use to pick up our quartz tables which weigh about 400# each... pump-pump-pump and 4 teenagers and moving the tables is easy ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

But, but... he was a fan, looking for a private audience with the Trump!

mrdarrett

The current list price of that scope is about $7K. That is insane for

4 channels at 100 MHz.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

dp/84M7359

You and your Chinese scopes...

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Lawless is lawless... swooooosh... plop >:-} ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

dp/84M7359

I get nice American-made, 4-channel, 500 MHz-1 GHz scopes for under $1k. A bit used, but none the worse.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes, speed limits should be enforced by those barriers that pop up out of the road. One got activated at a CIA entrance some years back and they bought the owner a new car. At least the airbags went off.

--

Rick C
Reply to

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

lol

bitrex

I guess that's what you get if you buy cheap knockoffs and not official "Trump 2k16" merchandise from an approved vendor.

Wait...

DAMN IT!

Reply to
bitrex

That makes his point, doesn't it?

lunatic fringe electronics

It is, but I'll still make $500 or more when I sell it.

After reading about all the bugs in Rigol, Siglent, etc. gear, I'll pass. No customer support worth a damn either. My bench has an Agilent 54831B (hacked with all the options enabled) which I'm happy with.

Reply to
JW

Back in the day the New Republic ran an article on him, titled "Whatever Bernie wants...." ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

My DPO2024 is full of nasty bugs, and Tek support flips me off. I know of no bugs in my old Tek scopes, or our new Rigols. I find the low-end Rigols to be great bench scopes, easy to play, with more bandwidth than advertised. My Tek has *less* bw than it says on the front.

This is a really nice scope:

except that the step response is ringy. All scopes seem to be ringy nowadays.

lunatic fringe electronics

And did you update it with latest Firmware? I know I've asked before, but I don't think you ever answered.

Did you contact them via email, or did you talk to a support engineer over the phone? Phone is usually the best way to get resolution, IME.

But yeah, Tek support isn't what is used to be. Keysight is much better in that respect.

Agreed.

Except for the step response you mention below. ;)

There *could* be something wrong with it. Does it pass SPC? Do all the channels have the same fault?

I received my 100MHz TDS3014C today. -3dB roll-off is 130MHz on all four channels. I suspect that the scope could be modified to 300MHz or better, but I'm not going to muck around with it.

OK, but the EEVblog forums have *so* many threads about all the bugs in those B-brand scopes. Just sayin'.

A few reports on your model:

JW

I called Tek support about the bugs. They did not suggest a firmware update, they pretty much ignored me.

I suspect that the Linux jocks that programmed this mess don't know much about oscilloscopes.

All digital scopes seem to ring. We demoed a Rohde & Schwarz 4 GHz scope that was about as bad.

The response may be peaked to extend the bandwidth spec, at the cost of risetime and waveform honesty.

We just bought three 4-ch 500-MHz Rigols, for automated test sets. My guys are talking to them over Ethernet, code Python, and they work fine. The equivalent Tek scopes cost 2.5x as much.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Still, it couldn't hurt to give it a try. It's very easy to do, and we might all learn something.

Long as they keep leaving in those back-doors, I'm good with that.

Except for Phil Hobbs' 500MHz TDS744A that now is a 1GHz TDS784A. That Rigol was about $9K new, yes? Buy old gear and use the money saved to take a nice vacation! :)

Maybe, maybe not... See Phil's scope. [snip]

Reply to
JW