munipulate sensor signal by increasing voltage - car

how can I simply increase the voltage from a 5v sensor indenpendant of the source of reference voltage(ECU).

What I want to do is to change what the ECU reads from the sensor + ~.65v.

I was hoping I could do this just by splicing in a .65v (or whatever addition volt needed) line between sensor output and ECU .

Thanks, Rey

Reply to
dojocre8

There is a very handy opamp circuit called a subtractor, that outputs the difference of two voltages, but with the result referenced to an arbitrary third voltage. See page 6 of:

You would connect ground to V1, the ECU signal to V2 (so the subtractor would subtract zero from the ECU signal, and connect a .65 volt reference voltage instead of ground to the right side of RF. This adds .65 to the difference of V2 - V1. You will have to come up with a stable .65 volt reference. Perhaps a forward biased diode is stable enough. Or you might use an integrated reference chip, like an LMV431:

with a voltage divider across it to step its 1.24 volt output down to the .65 volt you need.

I think an LM358 dual opamp would work for this application.

Of course, you have to work out the power supply requirements for these components, in your environment.

Reply to
John Popelish

Thank you for the response. I looked at the OP-AMP subtractor / adder. Not having any electronic knowledge, I don't understand RF resistor requirement, or any of the resistors requirements.

I found this searching on terms in your reply:

found here:

Seem to be a little closer or same thing with changes you suggested.

But what determinds what resistors go where?

Thanks, Rey

Reply to
dojocre8