Multiple stacked pots + switches with 1 to 2" shafts?

Once upon a time, a long time ago in the daze of tubes (remember, 2 WATT carbon AB pots), there were a few pot makers that made "kits" where one could stack one pot above another and drive them with a single solid, selectable shaft. D-shape, knurled, or round. Optional switch at rear. Sort-of like the CTS style. Later Bourns modernized the idea using their newer rectangular box shape and film tracks, but again,they were stackable.

In my junk box, found one (my infamous joke, "can you count to one)?" shaft, 1/8 inch dia 3 3/4 long, split drive both ends, number stamped on it RF8203.

Where can i get these parts, especially those shafts? Mouser, Digikey, baby bird (GooGull) not useful.

Reply to
Robert Baer

It appears that Honeywell still makes the Mod-Pot series. One of their distributors is State Electronics:

Their configuration sheets show shafts in 1/8" and 1/4" diameter, and with lengths up to 2".

Unfortunately, State doesn't sell the shafts loose piece:

"We do not sell individual component parts to end-users. There are many reasons for this [...]"

Maybe bug the manufacturer, Honeywell Sensing and Control, about it?

If you just need a small diameter steel shaft, McMaster-Carr sells them in several diameters and lengths. Start at:

The "Miniature Drive Shafts" link has full round shafts from 1/32" to

5/16" diameter and 3" to 36" long. The "D-Profile Shafts" link has them starting at 1/4" diameter.

Standard disclaimers apply: I don't get money or other consideration from any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

WOW! Thanks a lot!!!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Another problem...i had the stupid idea to use 3 stacked pots to make a constant and fixed Z, attenuator pad - say from near zero to 60dB. The problem is, that the "S" and the "DB" tapers are needed to do that properly...and those were available only as hot molded carbon and they no longer "do" hot molded carbon.

Reply to
Robert Baer