MRI Machines

Well I spent a half hour of my life under the magnet of an "open" MRI machine yesterday. Still a bit claustrophobic. While I sort of understand the theory of the MRI, what I don't understand is what creates all the noise and racket. Any experts out there that can tell me whats going on?

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

It's coming off the gradient magnets, usually. I hope all is ok and you won't receive any nasty diagnosis from the session.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Pulsed gradient coils. These are "small" 3-axis coils that sweep a gradient field across your innards, modulating the nuclear resonant frequencies of your molecules to produce the spatial resolution. These are generally water-cooled, with ballpark 20 KW constant-current drivers per axis, playing all sorts of weird waveforms.

They scanned my head last year, with the gradient coils around my head like some horror mask: noisy and boring.

John

A few years ago they scanned my sinuses.

I must admit a claustrophobic feeling also :-(

...Jim Thompson

|        America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave         |
|  Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked!  |

That's probably because you guys don't have a house with a narrow crawl space. At least you can be sure that there won't be critters such as rattle snakes waiting inside that MRI tube.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

No crawl space, but I can stand up straight in my attic... now partially floored for storage.

Mostly scorpions around here ;-)

...Jim Thompson

|        America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave         |
|  Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked!  |

Noisy & boring is right. I fell asleep briefly and was mildly scolded for it - they could see my eyeballs rolling around.

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

me

I had a rattle snake in my garage a couple of weeks ago.

Reply to
Bob Eld

Any obvious neural effects from the scanning fields?

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Is that because they check them every morning?

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

--
How would he know? ;)

JF
Reply to
John Fields

--
The coils? ;)

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Thanks, nothing serious except a bad pain in my neck C5/C6 disk problems. It was a bit disheartening to hear the technician say "that looks real bad, you should get that fixed" Then I remembered she said same thing two years ago. The Dr reports it is same as before, only now it hurts worse. I guess I gotta do something :(

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

Are they inside the machine or are they in the frame clamped around my head and neck?

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

I told the tech to give me a time check every so often so I wouldn't lose my mind, then I worked out a design problem in my head for 30 minutes as a distraction. I can put up with a lot of stuff but being inside or under that thing creeps me out. I keep having visions of oxygen cylinders getting sucked through the drywall and crushing me or the magnet quenching and getting burned in a puff of steam.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

They should never say that. It's almost like a surgeon saying "Oh s..t! That wasn't good."

Must be painful. My sore ones are L4/L5/L6. The docs never figured out that I might have a magnesium deficiency. A CPA (!) gave me that hint. Taking them big Costco pills since two years. Knock on wood, in those two years it hasn't floored me once and that's a record.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

They're moving? Wires loose? It certainly is noisy. I went into the tube last year. I'm pretty claustrophobic, but handled it OK. Not a chance of sleeping though. I certainly was ready to come out after a half-hour.

Find anything? ;-)

--
Keith
Reply to

...and found nothing? 8-) SCNR. I'm surpirsed no one else took the shot.

Reply to
JeffM

Well, bits of him twitching abnormally might be a sign. Google TMS

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

What an absurd fear. It quenches, a lot of cold helium blows out, the O2 in the room is displaced, and you die painlessly of asphixiation.

John