MPX or MPXO?

Hey all, I'm looking at some schematic for an FM IC. There is a pin that is labled MPX and it is said to be the multiplex output. Is this the mono signal? I'm just curious.

Reply to
MRW

Read the datasheet!

If you expect use to give you a useful answer, at least give us the part number of the IC, so we can look at the datasheet.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

"MRW" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

The chip may have a built-in de-emphasis filter block (75uS?) which also produces some gain to more easily drive a power output stage. This "MPX" output comes in front of that (and therefore lacks the gain) but also has the full bandwidth to carry the added stereo sub-carrier centered at 38KHz.

So, if you want to build a simple, cheap monaural table radio, you ignore the "MPX" output (or maybe attach the 75uS de-emphasis network there) and connect the gain block output to a "power" amplifier chip through a volume controll and you're done.

If you want to go full stereo, you ignore the output gain block, connect the "MPX" output pin to a stereo decoder chip (usually available from the same manufacturer), connect dual de-emphasis networks to the outputs of the stereo demodulator chip then to dual volume controls and dual "power" amplifier chips.

"Power" amplifier chips might be in the neighborhood of 2 Watts with 10% distortion for a small table stereo rig!

HTH

Rick

Reply to
kelvin_cool_ohm

I suspect that that pin is used to indicate stereo signal carrier detected and locked. That is what it meant back in the '70's when i was using FM stereo decoder chips.

--
JosephKK
Reply to

Sorry Peter! The chip is actually a Philips TEA5767. On the datasheet, it just mentions that MPX is just the multiplex output pin. The chip also has outputs for the left and right audio channels, but I only want to use the mono output for now. I guess I can just connect my speaker drive to either one of the left and right channels.

Thanks!

Reply to
MRW