Model of EMC Conducted Emission Test Reciever - Quasi peak measurements

Hi

I'm playing with using pseudo random PWM on a motor drive to minimize the conducted emission level of the inverter

For that purpose I'm testing a system using a standard Rhode&Swartz test reciever with the following frequency band 150kHz to 30MHz (9kHz bandwidth, 5kHz step and both average and quasi peak measurements)

The PWM converter clock is running at 18kHz and modulated +/-20% at

100Hz rate (in the beginning triagular shaped mdulation)

But the measurements take a long time - do anyone know how to model the input of the quasi peak detector to mimic the result seen on the test reciever? If I get a model I can run some simulations instead.

As far as I know the quasi-peak detector consists of a rectifying diode in series with a RC filter and a load resistor on the output of that filer (shorter rise time than fall time to transients)

Thanks

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund

Randomizing the frequency does not reduce the emissions, it just spreads them out so that you can pass the test. But it still creates nearly the same level of interference and to more frequencies. I know this has become a popular technique to pass EMI tests but I think it is a bad idea and just HIDES the problem.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

The EMC standards are a hoop to jump through, not an objective quality standard. They say meet this curve: you meet this curve, you've passed. Don't start inventing extra obstacles, there are plenty of stupid, unnecessary ones already. RoHS/WEE anyone?

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

This is true, *but* passing the test is a necessary requirement. That the test is less than useful is a whole 'nother can of worms.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given