Mixing AC with DC - Good Idea?

h it

It's about 12 amps... a linear supply with a large filter cap. I want the output to cut off clean, not wait for the cap to discharge. I think it's more like 36vdc, I just said 48 to be on the conservative side.

Reply to
zanderson_j

View in Courier:

               +----------------+
               |                |
MAINS>--O--> | |                |         O---+
         S1  | |  +--------+ [COIL]- - - -|   |
             O-+--|SUPPLY +|----|----O--> | [LOAD]
                  |   &    |    |       K1    |
MAINS>---------+--|  BFC  -|----|-------------+
               |  +--------+    |
               +----------------+

S1 is the switch currently wired into the mains side of your supply.

K1 is a relay with an AC coil and normally open contacts rated to
carry the DC load current.

You may have timing issues on power-up, and if you don\'t make some
provision to bleed down the BFC after the supply is shut down you may
have hot-switching issues with the relay contacts as well on
subsequent power-ups.

If you don\'t understand I\'ll be happy to go into greater detail.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

itch it

t of

tch

ill

amps

K1 =A0 =A0|

Thanks

It seems like timing on startup couldn't be any worse than without a relay - it's ready to go when it's ready to go. I *Think*.

To bleed the cap I have a 2k 5w resister that I figure I can wire permanently in place.

Now if the switch was turned back on before the cap was bled, that could be a problem? I don't understand enough about switches and relays to know what that could do to the contacts.

I guess I need to be sure the relay contacts are rated for the 12 amps DC ? I'm guessing that would be a bit heavier than something rated 12 amps AC ?

Reply to
zanderson_j

It's about 12 amps... a linear supply with a large filter cap. I want the output to cut off clean, not wait for the cap to discharge. I think it's more like 36vdc, I just said 48 to be on the conservative side.

** It will require a special DC relay ( or contactor) to switch off circa 40 volts at circa 12 amps without serious arcing damage or failure to break. Or a rather large switch with contacts that open very wide and fast.

Magnetic quenching would be of benefit in both cases - ie a permanent magnet to help break the arc.

Also, you must allow for a worst case scenario with the DC current higher than normal.

Good luck.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I guess I need to be sure the relay contacts are rated for the 12 amps DC ? I'm guessing that would be a bit heavier than something rated 12 amps AC ?

** Try reading what has been posted already - fool.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

it

--
Assuming the cap is across the supply, (in parallel with the load) and
there\'s a load connected directly to the supply, the voltage across

With the relay in there, there\'ll be a delay from power-up until the
relay contacts close which will allow the cap to partially charge up
before the load is connected, so there\'ll be a step change at the load
instead of the gradual increase from zero.

The size of the step will depend on how long it takes the cap to
charge up with no load on the supply and the make delay time of the
relay.
Reply to
John Fields

You need to toggle your "caps lock" key.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise