Microchip.com down!

Microchip seem to be having some problems with their domain registration. It started last night. I occasionally get the correct site for:

but more often get a domain parking page. To get back in add:

#fix Microchip DNS outage

2.18.119.45

to your hosts file. You cand just browse by IP address because the pages redirect to the proper host name.

--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL

On a sunny day (Thu, 26 May 2011 08:47:17 +0000 (UTC)) it happened Ian Malcolm wrote in :

Would not use that IP, but 198.175.253.160

198.175.253.160 goes to
and shows the correct site.

grml: ~ # host microchip.com microchip.com has address 198.175.253.160 microchip.com mail is handled by 10 mx.microchip.com. microchip.com mail is handled by 20 mx2.microchip.com.

grml: ~ # host

is an alias for
is an alias for

----------------------------------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ????????

is an alias for e1721.b.akamaiedge.net. e1721.b.akamaiedge.net has address 92.122.199.45

Invalid URL The requested URL "/", is invalid.

Reference #9.856470c2.1306400285.147ed61

is an alias for
is an alias for
is an alias for e1721.b.akamaiedge.net.
is an alias for
is an alias for
is an alias for e1721.b.akamaiedge.net.

????

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Jan Panteltje wrote in news:irl4pb$du1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

The IP address I gave was captured by GRC's IDSERVE utility for

while the site was actually working! A number of other IP addresses led to the domain parking site. YMMV

--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL
Reply to
Ian Malcolm

akadns.net is Akamai, a CDN.

They are utilized to get content closest to the user requesting it, thus removing delays or problems (besides when a company lets their main domain name registration lapse for non-payment).

Thus the IP address of a site will be different depending on the connectivity of the user requesting it. Having different IP addresses show up is normal expected behavior for a CDN hosted site.

Having the companies main domain name registration go away for non-payment is not.. :-)

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

1721.b.akamaiedge.net.

That akamai pain is a relatively new one. Got acquainted with it some time ago when my ISP lacked connectivity to some parts of the net on the planet. In short, you give them your domain and they take care of DNS directing the referers to what they deem is the shortest cut (or whatever suits them best). So some of the time some servers (in my case many so it became obvious and I had to look into it) may simply be unreachable. And now since this about Microchip comes from many sources (someone here in BG also complained, I am not one of their users though) it would appear that akamai did eventually create a mess of their own (which looked like something waiting to happen).

But putting one of akamai-s IP addresses in a host file likely won't work for a long time, this is a pretty dynamic mess.

Dimiter

Didi

On a sunny day (26 May 2011 12:41:47 GMT) it happened Doug McIntyre wrote in :

True, mine is on automatic renewal. I think if you do not do that, then anybody else can grab that domain name? Wonder what microchip would pay to get it back if somebody took microchip.com.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

*AGREED* It was however a quick fix that got me reliable access to Microchip this morning. Its still working this evening, but assuming Microchip finally paid the bill (and forum use appears to be back to normal), it should be deleted from the hosts file by no later than tomorrow evening.

I only posted it here in case anyone was stuck needing data from the Microchip site.

--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL
Reply to
Ian Malcolm

Not really the brightest fix, but something odd's happening, this shows what:

grant@deltree:~$ host microchip.com microchip.com has address 198.175.253.160 microchip.com mail is handled by 10 mx.microchip.com. microchip.com mail is handled by 20 mx2.microchip.com.

grant@deltree:~$ host

is an alias for
is an alias for
is an alias for e1721.b.akamaiedge.net. e1721.b.akamaiedge.net has address 96.16.231.45

Yet another distributed content delivery mess, as indicated by other responders.

Funny, yesterday I went there by typing in 'microchip.com', but I notice quite a few destinations require the 'www' these days. I do think it silly to expect the protocol marker be part of the domiain name.

--
Grant.
Reply to

e1721.b.akamaiedge.net.

Works fine here. All permutations.

I have noticed some bickering horse-shit going on the last few days, with, for example, Cox blocking OLM paths, claiming that spam was originating from some of their registered addresses.

All this pettiness just plays into the hands of Obama and his regulators :-( ...Jim Thompson

e1721.b.akamaiedge.net.

What, take control of the Internet nameservers and routers?

Be like dropping GPS out of the sky, now that others use it so much.

Reply to
Grant

Thanks!!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Well, the rules give the original owner at least a month to recover before the site is blown away.

Reply to
Robert Baer

e1721.b.akamaiedge.net.

Recently, Google has been giving me crap about "excess activity" or something like that, then requiring typed in code word from presented image. Related??

Reply to
Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Fri, 27 May 2011 08:53:59 +1000) it happened Grant wrote in :

e1721.b.akamaiedge.net.

When I ran the server from home, I also ran 'named', part of 'bind'. That name server is perhaps the most used worldwide. The 'zone' file, where these things are defined is, in case of panteltje.com: /etc/bind/zone/panteltje.com

And it looked like this:

$TTL 3D @ IN SOA panteltje.com. root.panteltje.com. ( 2007060101 ; serial, todays date + todays serial # 8H ; refresh, seconds 2H ; retry, seconds 4W ; expire, seconds 1D ; minimum, seconds )

NS 123.456.789.012 NS ns.panteltje.com.

; NS ns1.wxs.nl

; NS a1.abxyz.net

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

e1721.b.akamaiedge.net.

Doubt it. Only time I see that is when I forgot a password and skirt around the proper ones with ones the should work. Then google go all trigger happy and put up the capcha to slow you down.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

e1721.b.akamaiedge.net.

I run dnsmasq instead for lightweight lookups, as it's a caching forwarder rather than the whole shebang. ...

servers of where I hosted the domain.

Maybe, I didn't see the need, since I run only http and ftp, so if you type xxx.grrr.id.au into a browser you'll land on my website as it collects the wildcards. ftp... would land on ftp server but then I think you'd get one that belongs top a different domain, as I have three of them pointing to the one IP.

Yeah.

No reason for a browser not to try.

of time always having to make sure the latest

email crap, denial of service attacks,

just have to figure out the IP, no DNS entry.

My worst fear is a DoS, as then I'd have to ring my ISP to get a new IP, I'm hosting from home as I don't get much traffic. Not really trying fora lot of traffic, and I have the firewall box sitting between windoze and the Big Bad Internet in any case ;)

and get http... ??

Probably, unless you demand names for the server. My web server wont talk to people or machines accessing it by IP number, it's setup as a virtual server for the different domains. Access by IP is considered unwanted here, triggers a nonsense response to satisfy web page adverts and such with //Splat! for scripts or splat.(jpg|png) for images. Part of my local web cleanup strategy.

My ftp server is anonymous, read only, it's a hoot seeing what some people try to 'break in' to a server that is calmly replying that no password is needed! No such user, since usernames not used.

Try dnsmasq? Great for small sites where you need DHCP plus caching nameserver / forwarder. I've been running it for years here

Grant.

Reply to
Grant