Metaphysics - Fact or fiction?

On a sunny day (Sun, 04 Dec 2011 17:25:12 -0700) it happened m II wrote in :

He was mostly a political figure. Being told 'You are a disgrace at this university, you should leave' by his professor, Einstein immediately blamed it on anti-semitism, and later indeed left for the US, where he was welcomed with full support, and given that political reward called Nobel, well it had to be for something, so they did choose 'photon', and other Einstein fragment of his imagination (Einstein never did an experiment in his life, he was a phantast), and it set[s] back science a zillion years.

Bose send him his calculations, finally having something that he could use, he sucked it up to make it his own, and the Bose-Einstein condensate was born, it helped his fame, had nothing to do with Einstein though.

When the generations of Einstein parrots die, and their children, IF humanity recovers from the nuke wars, and if they pick up science again, and science is not essential for a species, for example mosquitos larves have survived on the outside of the International Spacejunk Station (ISS) for weeks, we are so proud as humans - on our science, as bees on their honey I suppose, in the greater view of things it is just a way to help continue the species, but can destroy it too, so anyways ...

Good morning world. Where is my coffee?

So I have my coffee now, have not touched it, but the smell...

As to relatitvitty, being a dreamer Einstein had to dream up some mathemagical equations that would fit observation. This is what I call 'formula fiddling'. Being the complete idiot he was, he hen decided that math was all you need (while we all know that 'love is all you need' is the real thing (also a Beatles song), anyways, he (Einstein, not changing subject) decided that 'I don't need no ether', and put that on top of his other confusions, as icing on the fruit cake.

Now I personally adhere to some other models, of reality, that do need a medium, some who have followed my postings in sci.physics know I am a strong believer (wrong word, but let's say I visualise what that Einstein called space-time) in a Le Sage type of theory (look it up, the lettering is slowly disappearing from the Logitech wireless keyboard (PC is far away, hey these things have range, I can still see the PC), as the Le Sage model predicts slowing clocks, frame dragging, does aways with 'dark force', and singularities, but needs FTL particles, and I am so happy now that CERN found FTL neutrinos, happy for CERN too, as now maybe some of the Einstein parrots there will be replaced by more practical people, and they may finally do something useful, such as decorate their tunnels so that those are at least be a bit comfortable as bomb shelters. Oh, yes, space-time... so Einstein did need no medium, and these days, politically speaking the ether is specified as 'empty space full of virtual particles that pop in and out of existence'. A bit like it must have been in Einstein's brain.

Politically, yes, because them parrots are in a position of power, and publishing is PhD tissue paper, and you do not get published if you 1) contradict Einstein, or 2) contradict global warming, 3) find life on any other place than earth.

More later alligator. If this does not answer your questions, so be it. If it does, I would be a bit worried. If it REALLY does, that is great.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On Dec 4, 3:33=A0am, "Tim Williams" wrote:

th

.

We can do better than your best guess. From:

"In Big Bang cosmology, the observable universe consists of the galaxies and other matter that we can in principle observe from Earth in the present day, because light (or other signals) from those objects has had time to reach us since the beginning of the cosmological expansion. Assuming the universe is isotropic, the distance to the edge of the observable universe is roughly the same in every direction=97that is, the observable universe is a spherical volume (a ball) centered on the observer, regardless of the shape of the universe as a whole. Every location in the universe has its own observable universe which may or may not overlap with the one centered on the Earth."

"The word observable used in this sense does not depend on whether modern technology actually permits detection of radiation from an object in this region (or indeed on whether there is any radiation to detect). It simply indicates that it is possible in principle for light or other signals from the object to reach an observer on Earth. In practice, we can see light only from as far back as the time of photon decoupling in the recombination epoch, which is when particles were first able to emit photons that were not quickly re-absorbed by other particles, before which the Universe was filled with a plasma opaque to photons. The collection of points in space at just the right distance so that photons emitted at the time of photon decoupling would be reaching us today form the surface of last scattering, and the photons emitted at the surface of last scattering are the ones we detect today as the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMBR). However, it may be possible in the future to observe the still older neutrino background, or even more distant events via gravitational waves (which also move at the speed of light). Sometimes a distinction is made between the visible universe, which includes only signals emitted since recombination, and the observable universe, which includes signals since the beginning of the cosmological expansion (the Big Bang in traditional cosmology, the end of the inflationary epoch in modern cosmology). The current comoving distance to the particles which emitted the CMBR, representing the radius of the visible universe, is calculated to be about 14.0 billion parsecs (about 45.7 billion light years), while the current comoving distance to the edge of the observable universe is calculated to be 14.3 billion parsecs (about 46.6 billion light years),[1] about 2% larger."

"The age of the universe is about 13.75 billion years, but due to the expansion of space we are observing objects that were originally much closer but are now considerably farther away (as defined in terms of cosmological proper distance, which is equal to the comoving distance at the present time) than a static 13.75 billion light-years distance. [2] The diameter of the observable universe is estimated to be about

28 billion parsecs (93 billion light-years),[3] putting the edge of the observable universe at about 46=9647 billion light-years away.[4] [5]"
Reply to
J.A. Legris

professor,

US,

called Nobel,

Another nutter. I'm guessing that you don't like non-Aryan science.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Yes, actually that does help a little bit. I never studied QM, but it seems theory has it that a single photon has energy proportional to the EM vibration frequency. Blue light has a higher energy level than say red light for an individual photon since the wavelength is shorter. Sounds reasonable since it takes more energy to excite a photon (or anything else) to a higher frequency. Still doesn't explain what a photon is at zero frequency (stand still, no energy).

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

On 8/12/2011 4:02 p.m., Bill Bowden wrote: ...

That's what we call an ex-photon.

Reply to
Gib Bogle