Meat thermometer, what kind of sensor is in there?

Then buy a tablet, strap that to my belly and write some image recognition software that can beep when the needle approached 153F :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I'll have to cave in soon and get an EBay account and an Ali account. Amazon is ok but their selection in the bicycle equipment area has become a bit lacking lately. For example, I can't get the ceramic-based brake pads there anymore and running out of them now.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Ah, that's it! But, but, there's protein in them grains.

Client: "What time is it?"

Consultant: "Give me your watch and I'll tell you."

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On Dec 20, 2016, Joerg wrote (in article ):

The 100? is no problem - buy a spool of #24 type K wire and go to town - about $60 plus labor.

The moving about is the issue.

See other email about smoking meat thermometers.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

On Dec 20, 2016, Joerg wrote (in article ):

Made by who? It matters. Household brands are terrible. Industrial and commercial kitchen brands are needed. Expect to spend more like $100 than $15.

On the better units, the probes are replaceable. I prefer the units that use Type K thermocouples, with the yellow plugs, as these are widely available in every imaginable physical form. And one can easily make up custom units.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

On Dec 20, 2016, Joerg wrote (in article ):

As others have said, yes, and it follows the Amazon PayPal model. I don?t think that the risks are any larger for AliPay than for PayPal. And if you use a *personal* credit card (and not a debit card or a business credit card), your loss is limited to $50.

Do not grant access to any bank account, no matter how much they nag or threaten. Or, if you want the claimed convenience, create a burner bank account in a different bank than you have your other accounts.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

With a radio link? That's be a lot more expensive if you can find any.

Brewing is a hobby for me and as such I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on each little gadget. They are sending me a replacement unit right now and if that breaks again after warranty I'll just buy another set.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Wow! That's some fever!

Reply to
krw

In practice, the limitation is zero either way (personal credit vs. debit), tough I *never& use a debit card on-line or anywhere it has to leave my hands.

Why would you give them direct access to an account?

Reply to
krw

Beer fever. After the grains are back out it goes to 209F. Got an Amber Ale fermenting, also a Copper Ale plus one that might become my favorite, a Belgian Tripel.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

Well, the OCR part has been done before. Here's one place to start:

Some other places to look:

Android 7-segment LCD Display Reader

( Code on github )

Enjoy...

Frank McKenney

--
  Capitalism succeeds because it accommodates chance and thus accords
  with the reality of the human situation in a fundamentally incompre-

And apply for a big research grant :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

We just got back from Fifty-Fifty, a brewpub in Truckee. They do a lot of interesting stuff, including beer aged in used whiskey barrels.

fiftyfiftybrewing.com/

We sat down by a couple from New Zealand, and he gave me, total stranger, a taste of his beer, so I got one too.

The onion rings are awesome.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I had one two weeks ago. The smell was more like Cognac though despite having been aged in Whiskey barrels. Really nice and very potent.

I'll have a pint of the Trifecta.

That happens at my favorite pub as well.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I was buying beer at the local shop, (Aurora Beer works.. they only have a facebook page.) They have a small bar, I had time and asked what was dark. An Xmas stout, now I usually don't like the fruity/spicey xmas beers, but this had a cherry stout taste that I quit enjoyed.. sipping beer, a 5 oz glass was plenty.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold
[about thermometers and probes]

So, for under $50 you can get a WiFi videocam, and if you already have a meter that reads thermocouples, just use it, and every PC on your LAN has a view of the temperature.

Reply to
whit3rd

"Wait, honey, I've got to get the laptop and let that teeter on the old tree stump up there. But we can't do the yard work before later this afternoon because first it needs to be fully charged".

What I use most on the device is the alarm. It goes off at the steeping temperature and later a few degrees before boiling. No need to watch the display. A webcam can't do that.

Besides, I am looking for a video conferencing webcam right now and found that the good old days seem to be over. In the

Reply to
Joerg

Actually I just ordered a Logitech C270 for $19 because I found via web search that it can be opened and the focus adjusted. That'll void the warranty but at least it can be done. It's an older model but at least it is in the 720p class.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

If you just want a beep warning, there's lots of industrial temp control gizmos that close a relay at a target temperature; use one of those to engage a cheap wireless doorbell.

It can be irritating to see so many gizmos, but an online catalog full of e-kitsch is also an online catalog full of mass-produced building blocks.

Reply to
whit3rd

I could do that with a Labjack but you should see how our Labradors react when a loud alarm goes off. They think the world is about to come to an end and make that known to the whole neighborhood.

Nah, I want my old wireless meat thermometer back. It clips to my belt and it discreetly beeps but not with an obnoxious blare. Problem is, the replacement likely won't be here before the next two brews are scheduled. So I'll be stuck in the dungeon almost all day in order not to risk a boil-over and such. However, there is a TV down there so I can use that time to learn some more Spanish.