Measuring how dirty the power is

I have a RF device I am trying to build which is failing to run when running off wall wart power. It will run if I change the power to battery so I feel like its due to dirty power. How would I go about testing this with a meter?

--
Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
Reply to

Wall wart probably no good, use a good regulated power supply.

Reply to
carneyke

Yes, I know that but thats not my question. Im trying to figure out how exactly I can measure just how "dirty" the power is.

Reply to
Bryan Martin

--- Connect an oscilloscope to the RF device's DC input terminals.

If you see a lot of junk there connect a small aluminum electrolytic capacitor in parallel with about a 0.1µF ceramic from the power supply + terminal to ground. Keep the leads as short as you can. No, two or three inches is _not_ short enough.

If that doesn't work, post back and we'll try something else.

BTW, I've crossposted this to sci.electronics.design, where there's a lot of talent.

Also BTW, _Please_ bottom post. :-)

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

^ device's