MC34063/78S40 buck

I'm testing a 5V out buck converter designed around the MC34063 (cut down 78S40). Rsc is 0.22R, the inductor 330uH and it runs at about

100kHz.

According to the data sheet I should have a peak current of under 1.5A which is the switch transistor rating. TI say minimum Rsc is 0.2R.

At 15V in I had a short circuit current of 1.93A (on 2 samples). I wound the supply up to 24V while measuring Isc and instant failure.

What am I missing?

TIA

Reply to
Raveninghorde

Are you sure the inductor isn't saturating?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Let's see...with 15v in, switch on, the inductor has ~9v across it, current rising at 9v/330uH = 27mA/uS. Ripple current @ 1.5A load is roughly 27mA/uS x (10uS x 5.5v/(5.5v+9v)) = 100mA.

Looks roughly okay.

100Khz looks a little fast--is there significant switch-off delay? That would make i(L) coast past the desired limit, worsening with higher applied voltages.

Otherwise, inductor saturation, per Sylvia.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Doh!

Thanks. Chose an inductor I knew was OK and then increased the value and didn't recheck Isat. But I knew the inductor was OK so didn't check for that. Forgot rule 1, if you can't find the fault it's where you're not looking.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

I know that feeling well enough, from many occasions. Each time I vow never to be so blind again, and each time....

;)

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else