Maxim IC frustration - hard to find components

Hello Pete,

Ouch! Time to write a note to the CEO about that. Then if he doesn't care we'd know what to do. Did that a few times with other companies and depending on what the reply was (or whether there was one at all) made the decision to blacklist or not.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Graham. Thanks for the useful info'. For the past couple of months it's been hit and miss as to whether the ISP allows me to connect. Only just got on now, after 5 hours of "some of our customers may be experiencing difficulties". According to todays paper we're now an 85% service economy. God help this country for the future. I'll do some foraging based on those links. Thanks again john

Reply to
john

the

I'm pleased you found it helpful. The line should be transferred to Idnet in the next day or so btw. I'd be happy to let you know the results but Idnet's forum at Adslguide is already pretty much a fan club tbh. The worst problem I saw reported there was something like a 10 minute outage.

They answer the phone promptly too and you get to speak to a human not a machine which is itself rare enough these days !

I'd be happy to recommend you too if you fancy moving so we can both benefit.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

[...]
[...]

the

at

reported

machine

Yes. Mark me down for one!.

Only time I've ever come across a human, was 2 weeks ago when I demanded my MAC. Shock, horror!, fast transfer through 2 sections to a knowledgeable technical chap. Poor lad oozed world-wearyness. I actually felt a little sorry for him!. Must have been placed there as their last ditch defence. Had a good chat, gave me his name and extension and sent through a fancy, expensive looking wi- something or other modem. No improvement though. (as he and I both knew). john

Reply to
john

Interesting. Do you do that with other carriers?

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

What part of samples may well come from a "local" office and volume shipments come from overseas don't you understand? USPS is still territorially limited by law.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

See my remarks to Clifford.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

If you look at apps circuits, they tend to be built from parts that can easily be purchased from Digikey or Mouser. Granted most companies supply eval boards, but you don't want to spec hard to get parts.

This is also

miso

Although the MAX5204 has only one package style, you still have eleven different part-number choices. Pity the poor purchasing officer.

Sheesh! There's AEUB, BEUB, BEUB+, AEUB+, AEUB+T, and ACUB. ACUB+, ACUB-T, EUB-T, AEUB-T, and BEUB+T. We have + and - for RoHS status, T for tape-and-reel, A and B for linearity, plus E and C for temperature range.

Choose carefully. It's enough to make one's head spin.

I like the way TI's web page tells us how many parts are available in each of the various package and processing versions, plus they tell us what's in the manufacturing pipeline and how far out it is.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

The samples I've had from Maxim came from the USA. Everything else I've ordered from other suppliers has come via USPS, who somewhat surprisingly, aren't inhibited by law from delivering parcels through other postal services, despite what you might think, you dill.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Hello Joseph,

USPS has no problems shipping stuff overseas. That's how I got things to Europe many times when other options were more expensive and when speed wasn't critical.

What a company needs is a clever computer system that recognizes when a sample or part must be sent from a location outside the US and then simply blank out the USPS option or insert another option (for the postal service of that country). In Maxim's case some of the problems appear to be related to a, ahem, sub-optimal computer network architecture.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Document the problem in painful detail here, and I'll get it to someone on the inside.

Reply to
miso

In message , dated Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Joerg writes

Perfectly normal situation, then. (;-)

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Pray tell, *where* are the USPS trucks and delivery people? Answer: in the US and nowhere else.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Are you all set now, John, or should we s.e.d. folks be sending you the samples we ordered as they come in?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Hello Robert,

That's why they have agreements with postal services in about every other country of the world. Agreements from before we were born ;-)

BTW, private carriers also have such agreements for areas they don't serve. I have often received Fedex packages via private courier services, especially in remote areas.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

In message , dated Fri, 18 Aug 2006, Joerg writes

QUOTE This is the UPU

Established in 1874, the Universal Postal Union (UPU) with its Headquarters in the Swiss capital Bern, is the second oldest international organisation after the International Telecommunications Union.

With 191 member countries, the UPU is the primary forum for cooperation between postal services and helps to ensure a truly universal network of up-to-date products and services. In this way, the organisation fulfils an advisory, mediating and liaison role, and renders technical assistance where needed. It sets the rules for international mail exchanges and makes recommendations to stimulate growth in mail volumes and to improve the quality of service for customers.

However, as a non-political organisation, it does not interfere in matters that fall within the domestic domain of national postal services. For example, Posts set their own postage rates, decide which and how many postage stamps to issue, and how to manage their postal operations and staff.

By virtue of its mission to develop social, cultural and commercial communication between people through the efficient operation of the postal service, the UPU is called upon to play an important leadership role in promoting the continued revitalisation of postal services. ENDQUOTE

I wonder whether their mascot is a pink, black and white bird.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Hello John,

What kind of bird would that be?

The ITU might be older but they are far less successful in getting their members on the same page. For the phone systems, yes, to a great extent. But look at cell phones, TV standards, radio: A hodge podge of island solutions and lots of NIH syndrome :-(

Sending stuff to anywhere in the world (unless there is an embargo) has never been an issue as long as I remember. In fact, you don't even have to know where the destination really is on the planet.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

IN CASE YOUR PROBLEM ISN'T SOLVED YET, TRY THESE TWO WEBSITES TO SEARCH FOR YOUR DESIRED COMPONENTS

--- ITS AN ECOMMERCE WEBSITE LIKE EBAY.COM WITH FREE SIGNUP, JUST POST YOUR NEED AND WAIT TILL YOU GET RESPONSE FROM HUNDRED OF MEMBBERS... I USED THE SAME WEBSITE TO SEARCH A COMPONENT FROM PHILIPS SEMI AND FOUND AND FOUND IT CHEAPLY

--- POST YOUR NEED HEAR AND MANY (HOPEFULLY) WILL CONTACT YOU IF THEY HAVE THE REQUIRED PARTS... THEN ITS UPTO YOU TO MAKE A DEAL WITH THEM!

BUT BE AWARE OF FRAUD CASES AND CAREFULLY DECIDE BEFORE MAKING A BUYING DECISION

Reply to
fskhan

I did not make it to the office, so I'll have to do this next week. I truly appreciate (as should Rebecca) your offer to make this happen, but my point is you should not *have to*. I have found errors in datasheets from all the major vendors; some major issues, some less so, yet I always report them, lest others have a problem. The vast majority take the report in the way it is offered; an honest statement of a simple error to be corrected, or for myself to be corrected in the case I missed something in the datasheet (that's happened, of course ;)

I remember a time when Mot SPS actually offered a bounty on material datasheet errors (some 20 years ago now, if memory serves).

Once I actually get to the office, I'll dig out the original email thread.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS