master, slave

The Democrats have already started impeaching Trummp.

If the Republicans in the Senate are unwilling to admit that he's crook, so much the worse for them. The people who were silly enough to vote for them in past will get their noses rubbed in the defects of the people who claim to represent them.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The evidence that is coming out would make it diffuclut to engineer that kind of result

Trump has this delusion that the Bidens have done anything worth going after. This is the same guy that claimed that Obama's birth certificate was faked for years, until he was strong-armed into acting like somebody who could recognise reality.

Trump has always been a liar, and his lies do work well enough to fool gullible (you included). Maybe he thinks that he can lie fluently enough to save his ass in the Senate.

So John Larkin can't understand the evidence that has already been presented. May be Trump can't either.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Host and node?

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Host and minion? lol!

Reply to
Andy Bennet

What is wrong with master/slave ?

Is this some kind of political correctness ?

Some IEC protocols use controlling/controlled station terminology.

Reply to
upsidedown

On a sunny day (Fri, 22 Nov 2019 17:45:12 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Black master and white slave will get you the other half

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

But what the Bidens might have done isn't the issue. It's what Trump did - and threatened not to do.

If the Bidens had actually done anything worth investigating, the US legal system could have gone after them, in the way the Mueller was able to go after a bunch of Trump's associates.

Trump just wanted the authorities in the Ukraine to make as if they were going after them, for the electoral advantage with voters as dumb as you.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

QD1 and QD2

Google images... 'quantum double dot'

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

SWMBO and husband?

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

You will probably be OK to adopt technical terms: master/slave. Wikipedia gives many dozens of modern technical use examples. In the famous 2003 County of Los Angeles case, they backtracked to say their decision was "nothing more than a request".

The site english.stackexchange.com tried to find replacements. Some term pairs they came up with can work well in documents or manuals, etc., but not as stand-alone names on instruments, connectors, etc., where immediate correct user understanding is required. Here are some of the better suggested pairs.

primary/replica leader/follower publisher/subscriber producer/consumer master/disciple master/minion primary/secondary main/secondary

Master is useful and OK, but if it seems the word, Slave, is a problem, that's the word you might want to replace, maybe choosing from the secondary words above. I came up with:

master/replica - looks easy to understand, and accurate.

However, if the slave is not a replica, exactly, but instead is a new generator, that's merely synchronized to the master, then maybe a different term like subscriber or follower.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Adding another word could diffuse any issues:

SYNC MASTER

and

SYNC SLAVE

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

It's kind of funny that anyone would worry with this terminology. I use a language where people were using the term "carnal knowledge" to mean inform ation about the inner workings of a tool that was not prescribed by a speci fication of the language. I'd only seen the term in a movie, so I looked i t up. There is no other meaning than to have sex with someone. So they we re using a term that by definition means having sex with their computer sys tem. I tried to explain to them how this might be a problem for someone wh o doesn't speak English and had to look up the term. I was laughed at and called an American prude.

So it seems odd that anyone would have a problem with master/slave. It als o seems odd that anyone would talk about other words for the same thing bei ng "lame". What does that even mean in this context???

This whole discussion is "lame".

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

What is this ? I didn't understand this un til I read the Wikipedia article. So this has to do with data base synchronization.

Makes sense.

This is a different concept than master/slave. The publisher/producer sends out data to the bus with the idea "to whom it might concern" and subsciber/consumer picks the data it wants. Typical examples Ethernet and CANbus broadcasts.

??

These two make sense.

Then there is also controlling/controlled distinction, as in some IEC protocols, but there is a great risk of confusion due to similar names.

Of course, the client/server is a separate concept from master/slave.

I did not understand it until I found out that it had something to do with database replication.

Reply to
upsidedown

If we insist on how the units are mounted, it could be Upper and Lower.

Or Top and Bottom.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

As always, AlwaysWrong is, well, wrong.

Always.

Reply to
krw

?? If a Master creates a frequency, waveform, etc., and a Slave makes a synchronized copy, that's a replica, right?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Winfield Hill wrote in news:qrbfij02kr6 @drn.newsguy.com: