Mains, LEDs and Law

I'm billing the customer for work to date. Then we'll discuss a larger luminaire. The damn thing has to be maintenance free so I can't used forced air cooling and with passive cooling I'm inlikely to meet the life targets, >50,000 hours.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

Will there be auto dimming at night? LED's last longer at lower currents..

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Dimming to 30% at night with sensor detection to bring the light level up when required.

If I say much more I'll have to get you to sign an NDA:)

Reply to
Raveninghorde

30%??? I have to wonder how that was determined. Did somebody stand away from the sign at night and yelled "Nope...brighter!...Little more!..Little more..Ok..Good enough.."

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

UK

A UK political party
Our podcasts on weird stuff

I saw a similar device in a brittish electronics hobby magazine of about the same age. the editor suggested using it with an isolating transformer.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

That is beginning to sound like a roadway 200 W HPS luminaire replacement.

Reply to
JosephKK

With

melt

I suppose you could get the IESNA Lighting Handbook to begin to understand the goals, but it ain't cheap (or even low cost).

Reply to
JosephKK

area

Sure, but somewhere in this thread i saw mention of an IC to do the job directly.

Reply to
JosephKK

area

Supertex

Reply to
Raveninghorde

It wouldn't be a very economical replacement. Leds at about £2 each x

200 = £400 plus electronics.
Reply to
Raveninghorde

Ravinghorde > If I say much more I'll have to get you to sign an NDA:)

Oooh! Super secret LED stuff? LOL

Reply to
Greegor

In article ,=20 raveninghorde@invalid says...>=20

or=20

...and total life cost?

Reply to
krw

I don't have the figures on that. But the energy saving my customer was expecting from 100W of leds has almost disappeared now he needs

240W. The saving is compared to a 250W discharge lamp. So savings are on lamp replacement costs.
Reply to
Raveninghorde

it or=20

rs.

or

ing

Exactly my point. In many cases replacement labor costs alone are=20 enough of a savings to justify the effort.

Reply to
krw

It's the risk of getting fired for stupid reasons and then being replaced by someone with a cheaper salary or bid.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

I'd have to fire myself:)

More to the point if I say to much I risk loosing a customer not a job.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

iow..fired by customer due to breach of contract.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

I can't imagine why you would pay so much for the LEDs. Just a little shopping will more than cut that in half. Even at your price you would be lifetime competitive with HPS, and the customer would pocket the reduced maintenance.

Reply to
JosephKK

Are you saying I should be getting Osram Gloden Dragon 112 lumen white leds for about a £1? In what quantity? Or are you referring to other brands?

I've been given budgetary 10000+ pricing from Osram, Philips and Cree at around £2 per led for that sort of light output. Of course I hope to get improved prices if the project goes beyond the demo stage, but half price?

Reply to
Raveninghorde

I would also shop for Toshiba and Nichia. The prices at that high output are rather more than i am used to. But these are fairly new (recent) parts, i do not normally buy that close to the bleeding edge.

Reply to
JosephKK