--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

harddisk....

or DVD long ago.

just jumped to it :-)

and impossible to unlock.

They make a gel cyano-acrylate that sets fast, but only once. Pretty damned firm (not the hardness, the stickage). I use it on my cue tips after years of glues, including other "super-glues", that would not work through my break force. This one does. I found it as we used it to stick a thermal sensor to the top of a transformer on one of our assemblies.

You can buy it by the case and it dispenses as toothpaste tubes, but only smaller. About one third size.

It is: Loctite Super Bonder 499.

Thermal cycling resistant adhesive. it is a 0.70 Oz tube (20 gm).

Reply to
life imitates life

Shhh... Quiet... It will hear you!

Reply to
TralfamadoranJetPilot

[snip]

Google will turn up some more.

Life is like a buffet. Its not very good but there's plenty of it.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I want a pail sized unit under the hood of my car, and the liquid Helium tank goes in the trunk. I would never need to add gas or any other form of consumable energy. I would only need to keep the Helium vessel up. :-)

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Jan Panteltje wrote [...] JP > Very easy, also used the magnets to magnetise my screwdrivers... JP > Works much easier.

lil > Not in the real world of stainless steels being in wide use.

Depends on the alloy.

Aren't most stainless machine screws made from alloys of stainless with ferrous steel in them?

Reply to
Greegor
[attributions elided]

harddisk....

I have 5T spinning and another ~10T "off-line" (tape and disc). Not counting audio/video media.

Note that an OS failure can trash your drive in half an Ohnosecond (been there, done that... opted not to buy the T-shirt). This is why I backup on tape and optical media :<

or DVD long ago.

I've been slowly moving tape and LVD onto DVD but it is a time-consuming process. I've rescued a pair of "decent" pro-grade VCR's that I hope to bring to the task (once I get them running :< ).

just jumped to it :-)

The split shaft is only good for slotted screws. Also, you have to discipline yourself *not* to use it "as a screwdriver" (i.e., not to apply much torque with it).

There are other devices that will clip onto the shaft of a {round, hex} screwdriver and grasp the screw from beneath the head. This works with even nylon (soft) screws. And, allows you to use whatever screwdriver you need (e.g., phillips, reeds and prince, clutch, torx, etc.) for the fastener at hand.

and impossible to unlock.

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Yes, but not enough iron to be magnetic or to rust with any great speed.

Most are non-magnetic.

If your "stainless" dinnerware sticks to a magnet, it is because it is plated or clad, not because of the stainless. I have had heavy stainless dinnerware that was all stainless through and through, and it never rusted, nor would it stick to a magnet.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Am 10.02.2010 23:54, schrieb Jan Panteltje:

Even worse...

Falk P.S.: My workbench is entirely made from wood. Before ~1970 it was a standard desk at the Krupp Widia Company in Essen.

Reply to
Falk Willberg

Murata make ceramic ones, They are great!

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse

Name a non-ferrous steel ;-)

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse

jumped to it :-)

Magnetized tools can make manual smd placement a nightmare.

RL

Reply to
legg

On a sunny day (Wed, 10 Feb 2010 21:32:47 -0700) it happened D Yuniskis wrote in :

I will need to stock up on some more tools one day.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 10 Feb 2010 18:28:05 -0600) it happened John O'Flaherty wrote in :

Good idea, thank you.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 11 Feb 2010 00:46:38 +0000) it happened Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote in :

But they do not send them by mail, and it is a long trip to pick one up.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 11 Feb 2010 06:45:06 -0500) it happened legg wrote in :

jumped to it :-)

I just tried the magnets on some 5.6 and 10 pF SMD caps, and they do not stick?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

ing just jumped to it :-)

ot to get your fingers

Those are all about 1 tesla according to their table at

which seems typical for Neodymium (-Iron-Boron) magnets, and those are 'the strongest magnets in the world' according to that web site!

Tesla is the unit of flux density. The number around 40 is an 'energy product' apparently: the square of B, in Tesla, divided by mu0 for air, although the unit MegaGaussOersted must involve a strange conversion.

I recently had some NdFeB magnets delivered by mail to UK from

... and I did wonder about them being carried in the hold of a plane. I wonder if it's significant that I ordered an even number?! Perhaps if you order three, they send you a fourth one free of charge!

Chris

Reply to
Chris

On a sunny day (Thu, 11 Feb 2010 04:58:22 -0800 (PST)) it happened Chris wrote in :

Yes, mine are rates at about 1.2 Tesla....

Nice, that those have a hole in it, good idea.

I was wondering if I ordered one the 'Death' magnets, if the box it is in is small enough, how the postman would get it out of his little van :-) It would stick to the metal, and not let go.

Your package probably did upset the plane's navigation equipment, and made a detour via an other continent ;-)

Marketing, it's ways are incomprehensible...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I had some cheap s/steel tweezers, they got magnetised and would pull 805 resistors around.

Reply to
Royston Vasey

partitions on the 1TB.

Power loss does not equal HD trashing as much these days, even if a write operation was being performed when it happened. The most that gets lost usually is just the data that was being written at the time.

Reply to
life imitates life