Magnetic Field Q

geomagnetic field.

compared to right angles?

I thought I knew a bit about magnetics, but I cannot grok your "volume" here. Volume of what? Field at least half as strong as its maximum? Please explain.

modulation effect or just the simple vector addition?

Propagation? Are you generating an AC field and worrying about its propagation? That would occur very close to the speed of light in air. If you are thinking of a DC field, where "largish" is small compared to Earth, your created field will most likely just add to the existing field. The exception would be if you use superconductors.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com

the coil is around a metre in dia.

the same strength, when the coil is either parallel

If G is Earth's field, and D is Dirk's field (as it would be analyzed or measured in the absence of Earth's field), then, neglecting the effects of non-linear magnetic media in the vicinity, the net field would be G + D. If you were to measure the AC field, using a method that rejects the DC field, you would measure D's AC component.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com
Above views may belong only to me.
Reply to
Larry Brasfield

compared

Simple vector addition at any point in space.

John

I will be using large(ish) volume fields of a strength comparable to the geomagnetic field.

How will the volume alter if the coil is parallel to the geomagnetic as compared to right angles?

Could propagation be enhanced or retarded by the geomagnetic ie is there a modulation effect or just the simple vector addition?

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

geomagnetic field.

compared to right angles?

modulation effect or just the simple vector addition?

I'll explain further. I'm generating a modulated field roughly the volume of a room - or at least, the coil is around a metre in dia.

How does this interact with the steady state geomagnetic field, which is about the same strength, when the coil is either parallel or anti-parallel to it?

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

I read in sci.electronics.design that Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote (in ) about 'Magnetic Field Q', on Tue, 18 Jan 2005:

There is no defined 'volume' of a magnetic field in space (or air). The field strength just gets weaker and weaker as you go away from the source.

There is no propagation (apart from an ephemeral period when you first set up the field) in the sense that you appear to mean. You are producing a magnetic field, not launching electromagnetic waves (to any significant extent). The geomagnetic field is normally 'DC' over diurnal timescales. Your field is simply superimposed on it like ripple on a power supply output. At any instant, at a given point, the magnetic field vector has a specific direction. There is no modulation effect in the sense that you appear to mean.

John Woodgate

I know. More precisely, the volume in which the field equals or exceeds that of the Earth.

That's what I thought - a simple vector addition.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

I read in sci.electronics.design that Dirk Bruere at Neopax wrote (in ) about 'Magnetic Field Q', on Tue, 18 Jan 2005:

The three-dimensional field pattern produced by your coil is not simple, and its sum with the geomagnetic field is even less simple. You have really only given rather vague information on your coil and field strength. With a very full description of your set-up, some results could be obtained. But it is usual when considering effects due to AC fields to disregard the geomagnetic field.

John Woodgate

I expect that the only effect the geomagnetic field will have is to distort the pattern, depending upon orientation of the generator coil. Ideally I want the field to be symmetrical about the coil.

Other details are rather vague. As I wrote in the Editor thread "I want to use a PC soundcard to play a suitable .wav file through an amp into the coil. The .wav is a series of pseudorandom pulses of millisecond duration at around 150Hz."

Coil size, impedance, power etc to be determined.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Things are mostly linear at those levels. The variations in the earth's field are usually greatest along the lines of force. If you are trying to avoid noise, I suggest you cancel the natural field and make your field in the east-west direction.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , John Woodgate wrote: [...]

Depending on where you are, the field is about 50,000nT and varies daily by about 100nT. On top of that are shorter term natural variations of about 1nT at periods of about 1 second or so. There is a long term downwards drift by several nT per year.

Mains frequency noise is usually strongest at the 3rd harmonic and is about 100nT also.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Space is a linear field medium, until you get to astronomical power levels. So the earth's field and your coil field are linear superpositions, simple vector additions of each source field contribution.

But if you're replicating Persinger's experiments involving bio-electromagnetic effects, the material your studying has non-linear characteristic, and may disproportionately respond to either individual field sources.

Biologists call it the "window effect". If you bias a Si diode near conduction, say .6 volts with one source, then another 100mV AC source is going to cause a relatively giant variation on the diode current.

Similar effect has been observed regarding the efflux of calcium ions in the earths DC bias field, when a ~10Hz AC magnetic field excites an ion-cyclotron resonance.

Becker's "Body Electric" is an interesting book, perhaps it inspired Persinger, who seems to agree with Becker that all our brains can be mutually influenced by our mutual magnetic coupling to the earth.

Becker describes a guy who took some LSD and, probably having tried a TENS, decided to enhance his trip by putting his head in a magnetic tape d de-gausser. He said he freaked out and had to be taken to the hospital 8^) (ROTFLMAO)

Reply to
Scott Stephens

There is a report of work Persinger did with LSD and mag fields. Seems the subject could actually sense the fields as light. I'm interested in doing weird combo expts like that.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Recently I read that LSD, rather than enhancing perception, degraded it by messing up the brains ability to filter and route sensation.

I think it was in Becker's 1st or 2nd book he describes magnetic experiments in which people were trained to sense magnetic fields so they had an internal compass. An ancient training technique for some Buddhist monks was to have a lodestone waved around behind them.

So I thought it might be an interesting idea to take a TV deflection yoke, and create a slowly rotating magnetic field while lighting an appropriate indicator. Pushbuttons or a joystick would be used to "guess" which orientation the field would be at next. Sort of like a game, you get a score based on correct guesses, along with a pleasant chime and a pretty jpg, or a buzzer and an ugly jpg for wrong guesses.

Even more useful than the internal compass training would be a course/kit to train you to detect the presence of other people, like the monks proportedly could. Somewhere I read this was actual military training. Sensing the electric fields of other living creatures, similarly to sharks sensing electric fields of their prey in the ocean.

This time you have a Quake mod, and shoot a bazooka at a cardboard box. If the magnetic field connected to the computer game is pulsing at 12 Hz alpha brainwave freq, the enemy is in/behind the box you frag and score. If the magnetic field isn't pulsing, the box blows up and wounds you. Color-tint hints are first overtly given, then the colors and pulse duration fade into subliminal until finally no clue but the pulsing field remains.

Checkout

The pineal gland actually has some ferrite in it, just like migratory birds. But I'm skeptical about the mind-control stuff at vericom/mindnet. Some paranoids have been subjected to mental cruelty (the kind of stuff in Santoro's "Gaslighting") and attribute the vague, nebulous feelings their being messed with to some technology they don't comprehend, when actually, they've been conditioned not to perceive the insults or there to subtle to identify.

Reply to
Scott Stephens

Both at the same time, in my experience ("good old/ bad old" days). Much of what most people call "hallucination" is actually the time/space parsing our visual cortexes usually do being yanked out of synch with the rest of the sensorium, which also has its timing screwed with in several ways due to LSD's effect on neurotransmitters. ISTM that much of so-called "enlightenment" is a beneficial (for some, anyway) side effect of having a completely different from normal view on the world. From my observation, I'd have to say that those that couldn't handle the effects also couldn't handle much of the world when not under its influence; they were easily disoriented in the best of conditions.

I tried some of that iind of thing many years ago with negative results (no, I've never had an iron deficiency).

I'm beginning to think that my (and others') "immunity" to this kind of thing may be due to lots of exposure to varying magnetic fields from our electronic hobby efforts. Where's news2020 when we need a test subject?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Mark Fergerson

Sort of. It really does expand consciousness, or conscious awareness, to a great many areas of the brain normally inaccessible.

There does seem to be a very large gap between reported research on small volume fields eg Persingers work, and the effect of much larger fields on whole groups of people. It's the latter that interests me.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

BTW, here's a 'freeby' of an idea that has not been mentioned in the literature. Since I'm feeling rather craetive at present I thought I'd share it with you (that and precedence in case Dr Evil applies for a patent...).

How to saturate a whole neighbourhood with Persinger style modulated (spike) fields. Use a thyrister chopping the mains power into a 1kW heater. The resulting spikes will propagate far and wide, along with their associated mag fields.

Of course, the downside is that you will get shut down fairly rapidly given the electrical noise will interfere with far more than brains.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

He was here 10 months ago. Or perhaps 5 months ago, e.g., subject: "Topic- Lasers : Where is News2020 ??? Calling once, calling twice ..."

Or in soc.culture.indian, on Aug 8th, posting from google, "Where is News2020 ??"

news2020-Aug04, Aug 8 2004, 5:53 pm Newsgroups: soc.culture.indian From: snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (news2020-Aug04) Date: 8 Aug 2004 17:53:54 -0700 Local: Sun, Aug 8 2004 5:53 pm Subject: Where is News2020 ??

This is a test message. This news2020 has been blocked out for months now. Finally this is a fresh attempt. ...

8 Aug 2004 From Library Computer system... Home computer not usable due to laser blanking screen...

-----

Or on August 9th from groups.google.com:

thread/20e2dde1ce811f4d

-- Shot through the head by lasers while sleeping - upto about 4 am ... -- Electrocution of feet by lasers throughout the day ... ... etc ...

-----

And later in the soc.culture.indian newsgroup, on 19 August...

From: snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (news2020-Aug04) Subject: News2020 posts are blocked (?) Date: 19 Aug 2004 20:10:25 -0700 Message-ID:

It appears that my posts to the newsgroups are being blocked or operating in one direction only. I am not able to read articles past Aug 13 '04. Also, I am not even sure that my posts are reaching the newsgroups soc.culture.indian and sci.electronics.design, etc. even though the confirmation does show up when searched for. (only one article seen) We are dealing with virtual reality for sure !

- news2020

-----

Hmm. Hopefully he's not finally been permanently blanked out?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win