MAC 97ab 217 IC identification

Anyone know what this IC is (I believe this is a TO 92 package)?

My water valve solenoid on my dishwasher locked up and this IC on the circuit board is charred.

I want to replace this component rather than the whole card ($100) and see if that fixes it.

I checked NTE for a cross reference but came up blank.

The package is marked

MAC

97AB (maybe 97A8) 217

Thanks Bill

Reply to
Bill

Does it look like this?

John Popelish

Digikey sells them for $0.39.

Reply to
John Popelish

Philips' mac97a "logic-level" triac appears to be a nice little TO-92 part. At 4 mA typ, 7mA max gate trigger current for its worst quadrant (T2- G+), it's more sensitive than the Teccor sensitive-gate triacs I've been using (L4008L6, 10mA max, QIV) (but then, it can't handle 8A, either). Now, if we really want sensitive, we'd have to go to an SCR instead of a triac, e.g., Motorola's venerable 2n5062 is a TO-92 part with 0.2mA max gate trigger current, or 35x better than the mac97a. Yessiree, Bob! that's what I'd call a "logic-level" part.

BTW, for Bill, there may be a good reason why the mac97a in your dishwasher became charred, one that's not exactly the fault of the triac, so keep that in mind.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win