LTSpice: Slow on noise sims with foreign opamps

the I

time.

by a

symbol's

you

base

lone

So wrap a schematic level subcircuit to fix the pin order.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Reminds me of a place where I once worked that had an attack of time-sheet paranoia, so that even when I wasn't working on a government program (which I practically never was), I still had to keep a time sheet as though I were. So I wrote a script that ran from a cron job, to update my time sheet file each work day at some random time within a few minutes of 6 PM. The update just said that I'd worked on internally funded stuff that day, so in the rare instances where I'd actually done some govt thing that day, I just edited it manually.

Writing a script to dork the library and then put it back would be pretty simple. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Simply save it as an additional component. Keep that "added item" count low and manageable. One can even create one's own 'custom' 'library' to include in a local corporate environ so the devices are available on all machines.

Reply to
SoothSayer

Joerg has a knack for making things overly complicated. All I did was change the pin order in the first line to match the symbol order, but kept the original order behind a comment, just in case I munged it....

********************************************************************** .SUBCKT OPA4140 +IN -IN Vout V+ V- ; -IN +IN V- V+ Vout (Rearranged Order to Match PSpice Symbol) VAM1 30 31 ; Current Arrow V7 44 12 0 Vos 30 35 27U V11 58 59 100M | |

And one usually does distribute libraries used in a schematic to ensure that everyone reads the same thing.

PSpice (original crispy flavor) can actually create a compressed schematic with all needed items in the archive... but no excess. ...Jim Thompson

I wrote a Basic-Plus program to fake time sheets. I'd just guess a few hour numbers for random jobs, and it would normalize everything to a 60 hour workweek and print the report.

I bet a lot of people here have done something similar.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

And I remembered another thing I do...

Create a single library containing all the parts used by a schematic.

Of course, anyone using LTspice for document control must be a bit of a fool... recent versions can't read some past schematics.

Besides, I thought Joerg was using Crapture ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

No, I have a knack for sticking with the rules set forth by the Federales and others. As a result I have so far aced all audits during my whole career, and when one works in a heavily regulated field those can happen frequently. Including unannounced audits.

All I did was

Sure. But one does not distribute a modified lib file under the same name as the unmodified one from the vendor. At least in medical and aerospace that would be a way to land in hot doo-doo, very fast. Some people and even whole companies learn this the hard way.

Nope. Cadsoft Eagle.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I did virtually the same thing, but in Excel. Bugs the hell out of the bean counters ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Now how am i supposed to figure out who or what you are replying to?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

[snip]

I found a simple solution which _may_ save Joerg from those meanies at the FDA >:-}

You presently have as the model...

.SUBCKT OPA4140 -IN +IN V- V+ Vout | | .ENDS OPA4140

Make a subcircuit declaration...

.SUBCKY MyOPA4140 +IN -IN Vout V+ V- X1 -IN +IN V- V+ Vout OPA4140 .ENDS MyOPA4140

Rearranges the pin order without doing any editing (heavens ;-) to the original. ...Jim Thompson

It's a subcircuit already, so I'd have to declare a subcircuit in a subcircuit. That would work and should be audit-proof because no trail gets broken. Like the SW-guys with their C compilers, setting up a pointer to a pointer to a pointer :-)

In this case it wouldn't be the FDA but some other agency. Anyhow, I did that sim a while ago and I now have a symbol named "opamp2TI". Woiks fine.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

LTSpice.

Careful of your verbiage. MyOPA4140 and OPA4140 are SEPARATE DECLARATIONS... in your library file(s)

In your schematic you would have an OpAmp symbol that calls an MyOPA410 subcircuit that references an OPA4140 subcircuit.

Caution: The Pin order shown above matches MY symbol... for your purposes make sure it matches the preferred LTspice Pin Order.

Yep.

I actually stumbled onto it in LTspice where they define an LTC6709 by calling an LTC6708.

As long as it "woiks" you're OK ;-) ...Jim Thompson

LTSpice.

Yup, saw that. This is why I said it should be legit because that way you don't have two different devices with the same name.

In California they do this kind of stuff using "revenue anticipation" bonds. Or in banker speak, they leverage the leverage that was already leveraged.

It woiks poifectly.

Watched an epidode of "All in the Family" a couple days ago. The one where Edith accepted an invitation by the Jeffersons and Archie ... well, you know how he reacted.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

LTSpice.

"All in the Family" is probably the best sitcom, EVER! ...Jim Thompson

Oh yeah, definitely. I think we saw each episode at least five times. To the point where my wife sometimes counters "Yes, Archie" when I want to have my say about something.

When I was a kid I repaired old TV sets and while at it discovered that with some more elaborate aerial I could pull in Dutch TV. They brought All in the Family, original with sub-titles. That's in part how I learned English. So I learned the not so good words first, like stifle, Sigmund Fruit, groinecologist, gyropractor, fillit micknon, allamac and so on.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Try watching 'Big Bang Theory' for a while. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

What kind of "bang" is it ?:-} ...Jim Thompson

Now, now, I thought you claimed to be couth ... tsk, tsk, tsk.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You're kidding, aren't you ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

So you haven't seen it? Or the nerds dating on the show, where some of the women are nerds. :)

I figured that you wouldn't miss an episode.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell